Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Mountain Everest Ride in AK in the Vacation Planning forums; Does it go fast? Is it really scary? Is it like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? Thanks!...
    disneygirl198 is offline A-Ticket holder

Mountain Everest Ride in AK

Does it go fast? Is it really scary? Is it like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? Thanks!
    i love disney world
    once get i get into the disney property
    something inside of me changes
    the whole world changes
    i get away from all stress
    work
    and sadness
    because i have entered a different world
    a good world
    a fun world
    the happiest world
    disney world

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Mountain Everest Ride in AK

Faster and taller than Big Thunder. Though thanks to the Yeti, Big Thunder has more moving characters.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Faster and taller than Big Thunder. Though thanks to the Yeti, Big Thunder has more moving characters.
    really fast? thanks, btw can you answer my other threads? thanks!
    i love disney world
    the whole world changes
    work
    and sadness
    a good world
    a fun world
    the happiest world
    disney world

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

What's your definition of "really fast?" I think the top speed is at a (relatively low) 50mph for Everest. For a roller coaster, that's not fast at all. Overall it's a pretty good ride. If you've been on BTMR then Everest is not even a step above. It's also newer so it's a smoother ride.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Quote Originally Posted by N.J.boy@N.C.St. View Post
    What's your definition of "really fast?" I think the top speed is at a (relatively low) 50mph for Everest. For a roller coaster, that's not fast at all. Overall it's a pretty good ride. If you've been on BTMR then Everest is not even a step above. It's also newer so it's a smoother ride.
    thankk you, thats exactly the answer i was looking for!
    i love disney world
    the whole world changes
    work
    and sadness
    a good world
    a fun world
    the happiest world
    disney world

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Though thanks to the Yeti, Big Thunder has more moving characters.

Boooooooooooooooo...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Boooooooooooooooo...
    Glad someone spotted it. Thanks.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I don't know why you gotta be bustin' on Disco Yeti.

Mainly because he's so bolted to that platform that, if the imagineers can't take him down to fix him, I know he's not going to be able to chase me for mocking him.

I'm trying to figure out if that's the biggest blunder in imagineering history, or not. One of the few times they dreamed it and, in the long run, couldn't do it.

Stinks, too. Because I never got to see it in A mode...

I'm trying to figure out if that's the biggest blunder in imagineering history, or not. One of the few times they dreamed it and, in the long run, couldn't do it.
    Which wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't make such a big deal leading up to the opening, and then while it was actually working. Now, you barely hear anything about the Yeti, outside of their little plush toys. And even then they can't decide on a color. Fools.
    I'm with you. Then again, I don't do coasters, so I wouldn't see it any any mode, outside of videos posted online.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by disneygirl198 View Post
    Does it go fast? Is it really scary? Is it like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? Thanks!
    We finally got our six year old on it this past November. He loved it! However, not everyone is the same and I have seen 40 years old flushed after the ride.

Does it go fast? To me, it feels fast. Especially, coming down that big hill.

It is scary? That is a personal opinion and varies between guests. To me, it's not scary. But, I love thrill rides and the adrenaline rush of coasters. For a non-rollercoaster person, it could be scary with all the dark parts. Also, there is a portion of the ride that goes backwards in the dark, giving you the feeling of going upside down.

Is it like BTMRR? To me, it feels faster and more "rollercoaster" than BTMRR. The only comparison is the ride vehicle, which looks like a train. That's where the comparison ends. IMHO EE is more intense than BTMRR. So, go into it knowing that it's not a mild attraction.

EE is one of my fav rides at WDW (RNR is #1).
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

I have seen it in all modes A, B and completely dark. I don't scare easily. But, in A mode he looked so real grabbing at you. It made my heart skip a beat.

The Yeti debacle is what happens when Imagineers DON'T have a hand in the actual design plans of a project. They relied on a 4D software modeling program known as ConstructSim.

From Micechat . . .

There are rumors that a serious mistake in the application of ConstructSim resulted in improper staging of the Yeti foundation and support structure construction. The error in sequencing prevented adequate curing of a portion of the Yeti's foundation prior to the overlapping fabrication of mountain elements and roller coaster track. The premature construction produced additional stresses on the animatronic figure's foundation and produced excessive stress points. The mountain and roller coaster track construction, in turn, prevented the foundation from being visible to construction inspectors.

Expedition Everest was too complex in its design to allow construction without a 4D software like ConstructSim. Conversely, repair work on the Yeti's base will require selective removal of parts of the mountain structure and ride track structure. This refurbishment will also require extensive software previsualization. Disney's Imagineers must figure out what went wrong in the original construction previsualization before they can trust any future refurbishment previsualization.

The only way the Yeti could properly be fixed, is if they close EE to make the changes. Until the Avatar section is completed @ DAK, I don't see them fixing the problem. They NEED EE to draw people to the park.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Without question, TX. Shutting down Everest would have some rather unpleasant repercussions to AK attendance at this point.

Mike, you've never rode Everest? Man, that's a shame.

Mike, you've never rode Everest? Man, that's a shame.
    I know. I realize I'm missing out on a good ride, including the queue. I guess it helps that my wife isn't a roller coaster fan either, so we can walk past the attraction togethe without feeling like we're holding each other up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast