Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Disney to allow beards in the Vacation Planning forums; My thoughts: Who in their right mind would want to have a beard in the middle of August in Orlando?...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Re: Disney to allow beards

My thoughts: Who in their right mind would want to have a beard in the middle of August in Orlando?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    My thoughts: Who in their right mind would want to have a beard in the middle of August in Orlando?
    Ha ha! At the length they are allowing and saying you can't go to work at the stubble stage it will be tricky for cast members to time the beard growth!

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Did you mean 20th century?
    Yeh... They are a bit behind aren't they...?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

If it's kept neat and trim I see no issue with it. In fact I always thought in Frontierland and Main Street the men should have had handlebar mustaches.
    WDW Radio Android App.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

my dad will be thrilled he wont have to shave his goatee when he works there after he retires lol
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

It's a very delicate issue with everyone.Some say yeah it's time Disney got into the 21st century and some say no, that the ban on facial hair on men should stay in tact.Personally I really do not know how I feel about it.Most of my adulthood I have maintained a clean shaven face without sideburns.I wore a beard for about a year and a half back in the 80's,but after I shaved it off, I have continued to shave since then.Some churches even require the men that sing or play musical instruments on their platforms in the services to have clean shaven faces.Some don't require it.That would be left up to each pastor of his own church.If you look at society as a whole, men have clean shaven faces.They are groomed more so than men with beards to some degree.Even in the corporate world, most men have clean shaven faces.There is a smaller percentage of men in these aresa that do have facial hair.Men in general with clean shaven faces give off a personna of someone that could be trusted.The look especially to children means a lot as to who they will trust and who they will not.So for example: a child has never seen his dad or any male figure with a beard,but he goes to the Magic Kingdom to a delightful world and goes to get on a ride, better yet,the carousel and the attendant has a beard all over his face, but groomed.This scares the child to the point that he will not even go on the ride.There is something about bearded men that portrays them as "shady characters", scary to kids,and just plain unkept or ungroomed.Now of course I know that some men keep their beards trimmed and clean and even combed to give an even neat appearance.I even did that when I wore a beard.But I am speaking overall, as others could possibly perceive them.So as far as I am concerned, I would, prefer that the facial hair ban stay in place and all men that work anywhere for WDW stay clean shaven.But I am an advocate for bothe sides,because I have been on both sides.Thank you.
    Park Hopper Dad!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I'm not sure I'd be willing to go to the mat on either side of this and maybe that is why Disney is going to let the rule go by the wayside, cheaper new perk than insurance or a salary increase.

I do understand the little kid fear factor. I also saw the college beard my son grew. He always shaved it off for the summer to manage the Water Park. Me, I thought he looked more professional without the beard. Then again I don't know how professional you have to be to load people onto the Small World?

Your comment about men singing etc. in Church might need to be clean shaven took me by surprise, being from the North. In theory isn't Christ depicted with a beard and humans were created in his image? I wonder why a beard would be taboo in a Church. (and to clarify, it is an honest ponder, no sarcasm.)
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

You can't have a beard at UPS.

I have a beard and I think it's HILARIOUS that so many people associate beards with shady or bad people. It's just facial hair. Get to know people. Books, covers, you know the saying.

I have no problem with this, but I also have no problem with the beard ban. I don't foresee anything getting out of control, and to be honest, I have NEVER remarked that I didn't see any beards on cast members, so had I never known of the policy, it would never have made a difference to me, and I'm sure many.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be willing to go to the mat on either side of this and maybe that is why Disney is going to let the rule go by the wayside, cheaper new perk than insurance or a salary increase.

I do understand the little kid fear factor. I also saw the college beard my son grew. He always shaved it off for the summer to manage the Water Park. Me, I thought he looked more professional without the beard. Then again I don't know how professional you have to be to load people onto the Small World?

Your comment about men singing etc. in Church might need to be clean shaven took me by surprise, being from the North. In theory isn't Christ depicted with a beard and humans were created in his image? I wonder why a beard would be taboo in a Church. (and to clarify, it is an honest ponder, no sarcasm.)
    As far as churches go,about men with or without beards on the platforms,that for our church organization is left up to each individual pastor.Even though the pics that are portraying Christ with a beard are out there;no one knows what Christ looked like nor whether or not he wore a beard.Society is much different these days than the biblical days,where most men probably did wear beards.But in today's society as I stated men without beards give the appearance of professionalism,corporate look,clean.It's not necessarily how I feel,but it is what it is.I also stated that I do wear a clean shaven face without sideburns;always have and always will,except for that year and a half I did wear a beard back in the 80's. As far as church goes,my pastor does require men on the platform to have clean shaven faces to play and sing in services.I choose to play drums for Jesus,so if that is what my pastor requires,I have no problem with that.It's easier for me since I already choose to keep a clean shaven face anyway.
    Park Hopper Dad!

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    So for example: a child has never seen his dad or any male figure with a beard,but he goes to the Magic Kingdom to a delightful world and goes to get on a ride, better yet,the carousel and the attendant has a beard all over his face, but groomed.This scares the child to the point that he will not even go on the ride.
    ...As a result he has an irrational fear of horses and all things that make a circular motion. This doesn't seem to be an issue as he grows up - as he lives in an urban area devoid of livestock. But his sophomore year in college he is given a Norelco beard trimmer from his serious girlfriend Ashley. He is rendered petrified by the razors' spinning motion and refuses to use the gift or shave at all for that matter. Ashley then leaves him for having a scruffy beard. Extremely distraught, he drops out of college. He tires to find a job, but is unsuccessful because of his ridiculous facial hair. A mere two years later he finds himself homeless; living under an overpass and off of scraps of food he can salvage out of a Chic-fil-a dumpster. Unfortunately he gets a hold of some bad fries that came in contact with raw chicken and dies of salmonella poisoning.

Obviously these bearded men (or women) of ill repute must be stopped!

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself but to unleash my inner Dwight Schrute and following the rabbit hole)
    Last edited by StewbotTalborg; 02-07-2012 at 05:50 PM.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

As far as churches go,about men with or without beards on the platforms,that for our church organization is left up to each individual pastor.Even though the pics that are portraying Christ with a beard are out there;no one knows what Christ looked like nor whether or not he wore a beard.Society is much different these days than the biblical days,where most men probably did wear beards.But in today's society as I stated men without beards give the appearance of professionalism,corporate look,clean.It's not necessarily how I feel,but it is what it is.I also stated that I do wear a clean shaven face without sideburns;always have and always will,except for that year and a half I did wear a beard back in the 80's. As far as church goes,my pastor does require men on the platform to have clean shaven faces to play and sing in services.I choose to play drums for Jesus,so if that is what my pastor requires,I have no problem with that.It's easier for me since I already choose to keep a clean shaven face anyway.
    Thanks for the education. Again, cultures from the North and South are very different at times. Our, men of God can have beards, but they can't take a wife.

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    ...As a result he has an irrational fear of horses and all things that make a circular motion. This doesn't seem to be an issue as he grows up - as he lives in an urban area devoid of livestock. But his sophomore year in college he is given a Norelco beard trimmer from his serious girlfriend Ashley. He is rendered petrified by the razors' spinning motion and refuses to use the gift or shave at all for that matter. Ashley then leaves him for having a scruffy beard. Extremely distraught, he drops out of college. He tires to find a job, but is unsuccessful because of his ridiculous facial hair. A mere two years later he finds himself homeless; living under an overpass and off of scraps of food he can salvage out of a Chic-fil-a dumpster. Unfortunately he gets a hold of some bad fries that came in contact with raw chicken and dies of salmonella poisoning.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself but to unleash my inner Dwight Schrute and following the rabbit hole)
    Oh My!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this in a link I posted on another thread from:
    Manning In The Magic Kingdom, Unfortunate Habits, Universal Construction and... - StumbleUpon
    This guy has some excellent pictures in this link!
    Orlando ParkHopper

He captured the first CM beard sighting.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

First of all,I do not know who Dwight Schrute is so I don't know if you are meaning to be funny without sarcasm or what you are meaning. I mean my post as a serious post,not funny,not sarcastic, not belittling.But that is how I feel you are portraying my comment.I am also not putting this up to start trouble or nothing like that.I just feel you are making fun of my comment.If you are not,please state that.
    Park Hopper Dad!

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

First of all,I do not know who Dwight Schrute is so I don't know if you are meaning to be funny without sarcasm or what you are meaning. I mean my post as a serious post,not funny,not sarcastic, not belittling.But that is how I feel you are portraying my comment.I am also not putting this up to start trouble or nothing like that.I just feel you are making fun of my comment.If you are not,please state that.
    I'm sorry it came across that way, I honestly didn't intend for it to be read like that.

Dwight is a character from The Office, he frequently takes normal rational trains of thought and takes them down extreme and irrational paths.

I understand the point you were making, and while I may not agree entirely I certainly see the validity of it.

Again, sorry you felt my comment was belittling.

Cheers.

I'm sorry it came across that way, I honestly didn't intend for it to be read like that.

Dwight is a character from The Office, he frequently takes normal rational trains of thought and takes them down extreme and irrational paths.

I understand the point you were making, and while I may not agree entirely I certainly see the validity of it.

Again, sorry you felt my comment was belittling.

Cheers.
    Thank you very much sir for replying with an apology.Me,here on this site,I am harmless,but I did feel as if you were making fun of my thoughts.I don't watch the Office so I didn't know that Dwight guy,sorry.It's perfectly ok that you may not fully agree with my statement about beards,it's like I say,I used to wear a beard myself and I am not against them at all.I was just kinda putting myself in a child's eyes in my comment.I do appreciate you commenting as you did in your reply,because I have done the very same thing before on here,but not as Dwight.ha ha.I am passionate about a lot of things and Disney is one of them and I have sometimes typed words with passion and since we cannot understand the emotion behind the words;the words have sometimes come across as harsh or rude,which was never my intention either.(It's like the song by the Bee Gees,"It's only words and words are all I have to take your heart away"). What I mean is, our words cannot express our feelinge behind our words and sometimes people on here misunderstand as I did.Thanks my friend,have a great day.Oh by the way,I cannot type a few words,I write a lot of biblical stuff from The Lord's annoiting,so the writer in me is always coming out! LOL!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

If children are going to be scared of somebody with a beard they should probably try to get out into the real world a little more often.

As for people in the time of Jesus Christ, I'd say there was likely quite a bit of facial hair. The variation of the razor blade used to remove body hair had not been invented, and beards tend to be quite popular in that region of the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast