Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Another Epcot head-scratch-er! in the Vacation Planning forums; I just now saw this, but this explains what was going on down there! They're seriously getting Fastpasses for the Seas? I agree, FP to get out! I rode it ...
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Another Epcot head-scratch-er!

I just now saw this, but this explains what was going on down there! They're seriously getting Fastpasses for the Seas?
    I agree, FP to get out!

I rode it and walked right on, and EPCOT was quite busy. The pass would be expired by the time you walked through that horribly long, winding, and empty queue! Who wants to bet the FP stations stay covered up most of the time like EO and Stitch?
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I agree that technology has progressed but there's a reason why decades later rides like Snow White and Peter Pan remain popular. Maybe it's nostalgia or maybe it's the fact that these characters and stories are still the core of what Disney is. These original attractions need to be kept and the newer ones integrated in with them. Is there really anything wrong with keeping Snow White AND installing a Seven Dwarves roller coaster?

I didn't realise I brought my soap box with me today.
    Actually,there is nothing at all wrong with keeping Snow White ride and adding the Dwarfs coaster ride.But in my previous statement,I am all for the classics.I miss Mr.Toad's,20,000 Leagues,the skyway,Magic Journey's movie,and anything else classic,but there is only "so much" room adjacent to Magic Kingdom to keep it convenient for guests to walk to expanded areas without it becoming too far for older folks to walk to.So due to the increased size that it would make Magic Kingdom,(which would certainly raise prices even higher),they do away with older rides that have "seen their day" at WDW.If it is incorporated properly,it would be a terrible thing to bypass updated technology that could create and assist in some awesome attractions/rides,in this 2012 and beyond.I even say,take the old classics like the Snow White ride and revamp it completely by using all that technology has to improve it and present it in a much more realistically virtual ride;but not virtual as in a simulated ride,but incorporate virtual reality as a part of a new experience twist on an old beloved classic.Just think what some new technology could do for the Peter pan ride in this 2012!I just turned 53 yrs old back in Feb,so I am old enough to remember watching "Uncle Walt" on all of the tv shows he had on,and I saw the Disneyland shows and wanted to go there so bad I couldn't stand it!So when WDW in Florida opened,I still didn't get to go there until 1986 on my first trip there.I was 27 yrs old on my first trip to WDW!So I KNOW about the classic rides like the old Eastern If You Had Wings ride,and I love the old school stuff much better than new stuff anyday.But for some things updating and improving is crucial to keeping up with the times.
    Park Hopper Dad!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I find that it's usually the hard core Disney fans and the older ones out there who do more of the pining for the past. Fact is, one would be hard pressed to find a six year old visitor and his 27 year old parents who know or care about some outdated 20,000 Leagues ride. Times are changing, new audiences are are showing up, and with other amusement parks upping the ante in technology, you can't get by on the old outdated dark rides anymore. I woudn't be surprised if Disney completely shifts away from them here on the east coast and leaves the classics out west. That gives those visitors who do remember them a reason to head out that way. Because let's face it -- a crummy old giand ferris wheel with a mickey face on it certainly isn't going to do that. I'm shocked that they're making the Little Mermaid a dark ride rather than a sub ride of some sort.

Peter Pan looks extremely outdated. Yet when ever they build new versions at other parks, it seems that they pretty much stick to the same static version, with minor enhancements. They had their chance to bump it up in DLP and chose not to.

Along those lines, the DLP version of Pirates of the Caribbean is amazing. Blows Disneyland's half-hour borefest out of the water. The use of silhouettes on ship sails and fluid shadow movement from around corners is incredbile and definitely worth a view on YouTube if you haven't seen it live. Riding in the boat, I was impressed, and that's not easy to do with me.

For Japan's version of Pooh, they used a trackless ride system. The vehicles do the same motion as the ones in WDW, only the vehicles are freemoving. Great technology and a start in the right direction. But to the guest who isn't watching the floor as you're moving along, it's no big deal.

I wonder if Disney is yanking the old Snow White ride as part of their practice of continuity, where chracters can't be in two places at once. The simulation video Disney released for the mine coaster ride looks great... should be a fun addition to the parks. Certainly worth scrapping 2D trees done up in black light paint.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I shouldn't be surprised my enthusiasm for WDW is waning. As time progresses things change and we move on. I'm glad I got to visit during the golden age; when the company treated the parks like a crowned jewel instead of a cash-cow.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised my enthusiasm for WDW is waning. As time progresses things change and we move on. I'm glad I got to visit during the golden age; when the company treated the parks like a crowned jewel instead of a cash-cow.
    Could not have said that better!
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    Same here. First time in a long time, I am foregoing my annual trip this year.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Living in Florida we used to go twice a year. We are now down to every two years. As my children get older I think trips will taper off to very seldom. We bought a lot of passes a few years ago and still have 2 or 3 days left. When those tickets are used up we may be done.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

It's a shame that I actually feel the same as yall do,based on martian Crab's comment.The golden years for me and my family was 1998-2007,when we did a 10 yr in a row run to WDW.My youngest was 4 in '98 the oldest was 7 and they both grew up going to WDW every year.We all have great memories of some great trips there which cannot be replaced.But after reading many comments on this site I am beginning to see that the Imagin"idiots",are dumbing down WDW to the point that "no intelligence needed" to visit WDW.I stated in another thread how childish-looking the value resort Art of Animation looks.I saw some pics and I am not impressed at all.If we ever go back to WDW,will we stay at Art of Animation? No,most assuredly never.I am not 100% knowledgable of all the negitive from Michael Eisner when he was the big cheese; but based on his 10 yr run as the big man,it seems there was a lot of good done for the entire WDW property.So in my own ignorant way,I say bring him back,maybe things would get a little better then.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

'75 through '90 was truly the golden age of the resort.

I'm not sure if I can describe my enthusiasm as waning. There's something to that though. But, I grew up there. It's still home to me. And like your old home town, or family/relationship, it grows and changes over time. You either adapt to those changes because you still love it deep down, or you give it up completely. I'm simply not willing to do the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    It's a shame that I actually feel the same as yall do,based on martian Crab's comment.The golden years for me and my family was 1998-2007,when we did a 10 yr in a row run to WDW.My youngest was 4 in '98 the oldest was 7 and they both grew up going to WDW every year.We all have great memories of some great trips there which cannot be replaced.But after reading many comments on this site I am beginning to see that the Imagin"idiots",are dumbing down WDW to the point that "no intelligence needed" to visit WDW.I stated in another thread how childish-looking the value resort Art of Animation looks.I saw some pics and I am not impressed at all.If we ever go back to WDW,will we stay at Art of Animation? No,most assuredly never.I am not 100% knowledgable of all the negitive from Michael Eisner when he was the big cheese; but based on his 10 yr run as the big man,it seems there was a lot of good done for the entire WDW property.So in my own ignorant way,I say bring him back,maybe things would get a little better then.
    It started with the All-Star value resorts and all went downhill from there, with giant statues everywhere. The ones disguising the stairwells are at least clever. But even those, coupled with the random character placement identifying the buildings, can really be eyesores. From there, they dupicated that style at Pop Century, and now Art of Animation. Imagine... there was a time when "resort themeing" had nothing to do with Disney itself. Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian...

Essentially the newer Disney "hotels" are Motel Sixes with the addition of giant fiberglass (rap.

I've never been a fan of motel-style hotels. I'll take Wilderness Lodge over Caribbean Beach any day.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    It started with the All-Star value resorts and all went downhill from there, with giant statues everywhere. The ones disguising the stairwells are at least clever. But even those, coupled with the random character placement identifying the buildings, can really be eyesores. From there, they dupicated that style at Pop Century, and now Art of Animation. Imagine... there was a time when "resort themeing" had nothing to do with Disney itself. Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian...

Mike, this is not an accurate assessment. The All-Star resorts were built between '94 and '98.

Also built during, or after, that time frame:

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2001
    Boardwalk - 1996
    Wilderness Lodge - 1998
    Coronado Springs - 1997

All the DVC resorts except Old Key West were also built during this time. That's ten non-Disney themed resorts vs. what will now be five Disney themed resorts.

a 2 to 1 ratio seems fair to me. It is Walt Disney World after all. But, this clearly shows there was never a "time" when resorts were built without overt Disney themeing.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I am sorry but this time I 100% disagree with you.Everyone is not financially able to stay in the moderates and deluxe resorts.The value resorts give the average family an opportunity to stay on property, whereas without the values,they would have to stay off property.The value resorts are NOT eyesores; unless you been counting money all your life.Your comments are taking the fun and pleasure out of a great vacation for an averaged income family by staying at a value resort.I agree that the decor for the Art of Animation resort looks cheesy,to say the least; but think about those families that can't afford the "high dollar-high falootin" resorts.Why take away from them(which includes me and my family),and cause them to stay off property by not having value resorts?
    I don't know why those of you that stay at the moderates and deluxe resorts have to de-grade,downplay and belittle the value resorts.I have read comments to this effect in here many times over the years and I really do not understand the mentality of those that can afford bigger and better things than most average Americans.Tell the average family that has a child that has cancer and their one wish is to go to WDW before they die and all they can afford is a value resort.Tell that to a family that the husband was laid off from his good paying job in '08 when the housing crunch hit and now they haven't been on ANY vacation in 4 years!(ME)!
    All I am trying to say is this:for those that can stay in the moderates and deluxe resorts,fine.I am happy for you.But don't let it make you feel like you are "somebody" and that all the rest are little people.Us little people are quite thankful to be able to stay in a value resort!We did stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort one year and I was not impressed over a value resort at all.We did not eat at their food court,it sux,and we went to POP to eat every night when we were not in a park.That tells me something right there.
    I am sorry I got on my soapbox,but this comment struck a nerve in me because the comments applied to me and my family as fans of value resorts,and I had to let it be known here,that the value resorts are good places to stay.Yall know me,I am not a trouble maker in these forums,but I felt offended and I had to give a rebuttal.remember I am harmless in here.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    I am sorry but this time I 100% disagree with you.Everyone is not financially able to stay in the moderates and deluxe resorts.The value resorts give the average family an opportunity to stay on property, whereas without the values,they would have to stay off property.The value resorts are NOT eyesores; unless you been counting money all your life.Your comments are taking the fun and pleasure out of a great vacation for an averaged income family by staying at a value resort.I agree that the decor for the Art of Animation resort looks cheesy,to say the least; but think about those families that can't afford the "high dollar-high falootin" resorts.Why take away from them(which includes me and my family),and cause them to stay off property by not having value resorts?
    I don't know why those of you that stay at the moderates and deluxe resorts have to de-grade,downplay and belittle the value resorts.I have read comments to this effect in here many times over the years and I really do not understand the mentality of those that can afford bigger and better things than most average Americans.Tell the average family that has a child that has cancer and their one wish is to go to WDW before they die and all they can afford is a value resort.Tell that to a family that the husband was laid off from his good paying job in '08 when the housing crunch hit and now they haven't been on ANY vacation in 4 years!(ME)!
    All I am trying to say is this:for those that can stay in the moderates and deluxe resorts,fine.I am happy for you.But don't let it make you feel like you are "somebody" and that all the rest are little people.Us little people are quite thankful to be able to stay in a value resort!We did stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort one year and I was not impressed over a value resort at all.We did not eat at their food court,it sux,and we went to POP to eat every night when we were not in a park.That tells me something right there.
    I am sorry I got on my soapbox,but this comment struck a nerve in me because the comments applied to me and my family as fans of value resorts,and I had to let it be known here,that the value resorts are good places to stay.Yall know me,I am not a trouble maker in these forums,but I felt offended and I had to give a rebuttal.remember I am harmless in here.
    Um, I would say you misinterpreted his post. His issue was with the design/decor of the value resorts. Not with their existence.

We always stay on the monorail loop, but that doesn't mean we look down our noses at those who either can't afford, or simply refuse to pay that much.

Deep breath, brother.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast