Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Another Epcot head-scratch-er! in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz Mike, this is not an accurate assessment. The All-Star resorts were built between '94 and '98. Also built during, or after, that time frame: Animal ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Another Epcot head-scratch-er!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Mike, this is not an accurate assessment. The All-Star resorts were built between '94 and '98.

Also built during, or after, that time frame:

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2001
    Boardwalk - 1996
    Wilderness Lodge - 1998
    Coronado Springs - 1997

All the DVC resorts except Old Key West were also built during this time. That's ten non-Disney themed resorts vs. what will now be five Disney themed resorts.

a 2 to 1 ratio seems fair to me. It is Walt Disney World after all. But, this clearly shows there was never a "time" when resorts were built without overt Disney themeing.
    I meant that, if it wasn't for the All-Star resort style, we might not have had Pop and now Animation styled the way they are. I wasn't implying that they were ONLY going in that direction. Simply that, once introduced, those ridiculous giant statues were now here to stay and they keep looking for new places to incorporate them into hotel designs. At some point, they will stop being different and special.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    I am sorry but this time I 100% disagree with you.Everyone is not financially able to stay in the moderates and deluxe resorts.The value resorts give the average family an opportunity to stay on property, whereas without the values,they would have to stay off property.The value resorts are NOT eyesores; unless you been counting money all your life.Your comments are taking the fun and pleasure out of a great vacation for an averaged income family by staying at a value resort.I agree that the decor for the Art of Animation resort looks cheesy,to say the least; but think about those families that can't afford the "high dollar-high falootin" resorts.Why take away from them(which includes me and my family),and cause them to stay off property by not having value resorts?
    I don't know why those of you that stay at the moderates and deluxe resorts have to de-grade,downplay and belittle the value resorts.I have read comments to this effect in here many times over the years and I really do not understand the mentality of those that can afford bigger and better things than most average Americans.Tell the average family that has a child that has cancer and their one wish is to go to WDW before they die and all they can afford is a value resort.Tell that to a family that the husband was laid off from his good paying job in '08 when the housing crunch hit and now they haven't been on ANY vacation in 4 years!(ME)!
    All I am trying to say is this:for those that can stay in the moderates and deluxe resorts,fine.I am happy for you.But don't let it make you feel like you are "somebody" and that all the rest are little people.Us little people are quite thankful to be able to stay in a value resort!We did stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort one year and I was not impressed over a value resort at all.We did not eat at their food court,it sux,and we went to POP to eat every night when we were not in a park.That tells me something right there.
    I am sorry I got on my soapbox,but this comment struck a nerve in me because the comments applied to me and my family as fans of value resorts,and I had to let it be known here,that the value resorts are good places to stay.Yall know me,I am not a trouble maker in these forums,but I felt offended and I had to give a rebuttal.remember I am harmless in here.
    Scott was right... you did mis-take my post. I wsan't saying that the value resorts were the downfall of Disney. Giant cowboy boots, Rubix Cubes, and Mickey phones are an eyesore at $49 a night or $499 a night.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I haven't seen any of them in person, but if pictures do them "justice" I'd have to agree. Just looks kinda silly.

I stayed at All Star Movies about ten years ago and it was neat to see. Once. After that, it started getting to me. The giant computer pool at Pop (have never stayed there but have gone to eat at their food court once) is a good concept but after a while, when these things are just everywhere...

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I've heard the Pop food court is one of the better places for a quick meal on property.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Um, I would say you misinterpreted his post. His issue was with the design/decor of the value resorts. Not with their existence.

We always stay on the monorail loop, but that doesn't mean we look down our noses at those who either can't afford, or simply refuse to pay that much.

Deep breath, brother.
    I may over react sometimes and this time may have been one of them.But I get tired of reading stuff that seems to be de-grading something that means something to me.It's not just here in these forums only,but other places as well,and I know I shouldn't let it bother me as it seems I did; but it did for some reason.I have never been able to stay in the expensive places so I cannot fully understand why someone would downplay the values,because I see nothing wrong with them.The decore of the values is fine except for the way the Art of Animation is being decorated in.It's too cheesy even for me.I personally do not talk down about the moderates and deluxe resorts even though I cannot afford to stay there,because maybe one day I will be able to;so that's my reason for getting on my soapbox,but I really only had one foot on it not both.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Scott was right... you did mis-take my post. I wsan't saying that the value resorts were the downfall of Disney. Giant cowboy boots, Rubix Cubes, and Mickey phones are an eyesore at $49 a night or $499 a night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    I may over react sometimes and this time may have been one of them.But I get tired of reading stuff that seems to be de-grading something that means something to me.It's not just here in these forums only,but other places as well,and I know I shouldn't let it bother me as it seems I did; but it did for some reason.I have never been able to stay in the expensive places so I cannot fully understand why someone would downplay the values,because I see nothing wrong with them.The decore of the values is fine except for the way the Art of Animation is being decorated in.It's too cheesy even for me.I personally do not talk down about the moderates and deluxe resorts even though I cannot afford to stay there,because maybe one day I will be able to;so that's my reason for getting on my soapbox,but I really only had one foot on it not both.
    See my reply above.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I guess I just don't see it your way.I don't think those gigantic icons are an eyesore at all.I rather like them myself.I am very nostalgic especially when it comes to stuff I grew up with.Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine earlier went overboard I know,but I still disagree with you.But you know what?Everybody cannot all be pleased with the same things.I have never been financially well off so staying in fancier places for me is odd;out of the ordinary.My parents weren't rich or well off either so I have always had "average Joe" vacations,but we didn't know any better when we were young.My parents never took us to WDW,and I went there as an adult back in the 80's for my first time;so everything to me is grand,and when we were blessed to start staying on property in 2000,we stayed at an Allstar Resort and have stayed in all three,six times and 2 times at POP.If I ever could afford to stay at a deluxe resort,I would probably find it quite uncomfortable for my stay,being that I am not used to that way.So I said all that just to say this,I am sorry for losing my cool earlier today.Disney has always had a special place in my heart and I just felt a little offended,and I shouldn't have.Sometimes I forget that not everyone is going to always like what I like,and I have to respect that,and I do,I just forgot to show it.
    Plus,it is still hard on me,emotionally since losing my job back in '08,and I lost a second replacement job back in august of last year,and currently I do not have steady work.So since we desperately want to get back to WDW,my emotions get the best of me sometimes when I think of such great times we had for 10 yrs in a row before I lost the job.Remember I've said it here in these forums before,I'm harmless in here.LOL.
    Park Hopper Dad!

I'm with you. I can see how that might have been misconstrued. No matter what rate they're charging, they are taking the "Disney" themeing to the Nth degree at these resorts. I was just being nostalgic for when "themeing" didn't mean overly-Disnifying the place.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Boy a lot happened on this thread in a day or so.

I'm all for upgrading attractions vs. turning them into meet and greets. As much as I've always loved Peter Pan, it is more the unusual vehicle than the imagineering. Both Snow White and Peter Pan could use a new millenium upgrade vs them ever going the way of a meet and greet.

I am not a fan of the garishness of the value hotels. I'd much rather them be simple and not tacky. I respect the ones who like them, they decor just makes me cringe. I am feeling the same way about the princess rooms at the Mansions at POR, my favorite resort. I love the grounds. The rooms have always been tranquil after a day at the parks. The Princess rooms have taken on a high end price of the decor of the values. I also understand the Motel 6 reference. If you take a step back and just look at the structure of the buildings there is the same architecture and building materials. The difference is the paint on the buildings and the super structures decorating the cinder-block.

We too use to go to Disney annually for two weeks from 1988-around 2007. College tuition has made that impossible. I have been in the parks since the year they opened and Disneyland before that. I have seen the crown jewel have its ups and downs. The foods in the late 80's to early 90's horrid. Improved grandly and now declining greatly again. I've seen the perks and benefits of staying on sight greatly diminish.

We'd go from one trip and start planning the next. Now I'm kinda, that will do for a while after a 5 night stay. So I'm not as excited as I once was.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

And a side note, the Animation Hotel, the vast majority will not be Motel style. The only ones with outside entrances will be the original hotels buildings built and abandoned. The ones built the last year or so will have inside hallways. It will be very easy to pick out the abandoned rehab'd buildings from the new construction. And my opinion, these are the most awful, tacky things that Disney has ever imagineered.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I'm at the point where a week almost anywhere on the Florida coast is at least as good as a WDW vacation.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I don't think I can imagine ever feeling indifferent about going to WDW. Each time I go, I enjoy it more and more and the wait between trips seems longer and longer.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    I don't think I can imagine ever feeling indifferent about going to WDW. Each time I go, I enjoy it more and more and the wait between trips seems longer and longer.
    I used to feel that way. It depends on your perspective.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

And I am thinking our age is showing. We saw the parks as the crown jewel. If you never saw them in their prime, how would you miss it?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast