Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Another Epcot head-scratch-er! in the Vacation Planning forums; My first trip to WDW was when I was 4 in 1996, so I guess I can't. I am, however, quite familiar with EPCOT and its history and find what ...
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Another Epcot head-scratch-er!

My first trip to WDW was when I was 4 in 1996, so I guess I can't. I am, however, quite familiar with EPCOT and its history and find what they've done to it in the past 15 years greatly disappointing. I wish I could have experienced it in its glory days more than anything. EPCOT is the biggest issue I have with them.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

Maybe Disney is trying to start a buzz that these attractions need a fast pass. Who knows.
    Tina Cole

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I'm at the point where a week almost anywhere on the Florida coast is at least as good as a WDW vacation.
    IF WDW wasn't in Florida I'd never step foot in that h*ll hole ever again.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad
    I have never been able to stay in the expensive places
    ...when we were blessed to start staying on property in 2000,we stayed at an Allstar Resort and have stayed in all three,six times and 2 times at POP
    You really should have quit while you were ahead.

No offense, but it's kinda hard to cry poverty when you've visited WDW at least 8 times in the last 12 years.

We've visited twice during that span. Which of us do you think has spent more on lodging?

Going to WDW is very expensive. If you can afford to do it 8 times in 12 years you're not exactly representing the proletariat.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 03-25-2012 at 08:28 AM.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I've heard the Pop food court is one of the better places for a quick meal on property.
    My wife has a rather exotic palate, and even she was impressed with their variety, to some extent. Rather than just the standard burgers, pizza, and chicken strips, their food court had a wide variety of offerings. Not the highest quality food, but certainly quite varied. Even Chinese/Asian offerings at one station, which was unexpected but great to happen upon.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I am not a fan of the garishness of the value hotels. I'd much rather them be simple and not tacky. I respect the ones who like them, they decor just makes me cringe. I am feeling the same way about the princess rooms at the Mansions at POR, my favorite resort. I love the grounds. The rooms have always been tranquil after a day at the parks. The Princess rooms have taken on a high end price of the decor of the values. I also understand the Motel 6 reference. If you take a step back and just look at the structure of the buildings there is the same architecture and building materials. The difference is the paint on the buildings and the super structures decorating the cinder-block.
    I think "tacky" is a good word to use here. There's Disney-fied, and then there's overkill. And even to say that a giant Pongo at All-Star Movies might be warranted, giant cowboy boots at All-Star Music?

As far as the themed room goes, I don't see myself ever staying in one. My nephew is a HUGE Cars fan. He's 2-1/2 and is obsessed with both movies. But when I take my family down to WDW next fall, I'm not going to allow his love of Cars to shoehorn me into staying at a Value resort. It's not going to happen. I'll take him to Lights, Action, Motors and see Lightning McQueen and he'll enjoy that more than sleeping on Cars sheets, which he can do at home. Pretty much the same reason why I was one of the few who wasn't thrilled with the 'chance' to stay in the castle suite. If there was some sort of historical significance to it, great. But it was all new construction. Sleeping in the park is one thing, although once it's closed, what's the sense of knowing you're inside. I love my job, but once the building is closed, there's no thrill in sleeping inside and staring out at darkened hallways. The gaudiness of the princess-themed castle suite would have gotten to me rather quickly. And by rather quickly, I mean immediately. At some point you need to turn off Disney, relax and go to sleep.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    IF WDW wasn't in Florida I'd never step foot in that h*ll hole ever again.
    That is surprising to me. I love it here and I wouldn't want to live in any other state. Different strokes...
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    That is surprising to me. I love it here and I wouldn't want to live in any other state. Different strokes...
    I grew up there. Was born in Daytona Beach in 1970 and lived in central Florida as well as the southwest coast. Finally escaped 32 years later.

I loved the old Florida, though I always hated the heat. The state is absolutely nothing like it used to be. The population exploded, traffic became unbearable, snowbirds stopped going back home, insurance and property taxes shot through the roof, beaches got overcrowded, etc...

I used to get a kick out of people who, when they learned of where I was born, would say, "Wow! I've never met an actual Floridian!"

I feel that way about NJ. I lived my first 14 years there then moved to Florida. I only returned once for a funeral when I was in my 20s. I have no desire to ever go back and probably never will. So where is your Eden?
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

I wouldn't call it my Eden, but I live in mid Missouri. Jefferson City, the capital. It's a litle too right wing elitist for my tastes, but it still beat Florida in almost every way. I miss the beach, Key West, and WDW. But that's pretty much it.

Oh, and fresh seafood.

We're also within driving distance from Kansas City, St. Louis, Des Moines, and Chicago. All excellent cities to visit. So location-wise it's pretty sweet.

I have no problem with Right-Wing elitists. Maybe I'll have to visit there some day. Just not in winter.

We weren't much colder than you were this past winter. My father still lives in Orlando and there were days it was colder there than it was here.

Missouri does tend to have extreme seasons, though. Summers here can be sheer terrorism. A couple of summers ago we had 18 straight days of triple digit temps. One day it peaked at 117 at our place. We're down in a valley and tend to get hotter.

We plan to move after our son graduates school. We're currently looking at Chicago, Minneapolis, and Denver.

Sounds very temperate. I gather cold weather is to your liking if you are considering moving even further north.

Very much so.

Having lived in that unrelenting heat and humidity for 32 years made me appreciate the beauty of colder weather. If you dress and prepare appropriately you can beat the cold.

The heat? Best of luck with that.

Oddly enough the heat doesn't bother me here. Because I know it's going to end come fall. You've luck out the last few years with cooler winters but I recall having our A/C on for Christmas day far more times than not.

While I do enjoy our "cold" weather each winter, heat doesn't bother me too much. However, if I had the kind of job where I was expected to wear a suit and tie, my opinion would be very different.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast