Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Another Epcot head-scratch-er! in the Vacation Planning forums; When my wife and I first moved in together we had a '77 Camaro with no A/C. Oh, I cannot tell you what a terribly pleasant experience that was......
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Another Epcot head-scratch-er!

When my wife and I first moved in together we had a '77 Camaro with no A/C. Oh, I cannot tell you what a terribly pleasant experience that was...

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Add me to the ranks that find the value hotels extremely...tacky. I've never stayed at them, but I've seen the exteriors and they're an eyesore, IMO

As much as I love Disney, and have been there, I've never stayed on site. Technically, yes, but never at a Disney hotel. We have always stayed at the Hotel Plaza/Downtown Disney resort hotels. I prefer the location and if they're on sale, find them to be a better value. That's just my personal preference. I'd love to stay at least a moderate Disney resort, but they're just too expensive, especially compared to the DTD resorts. I stayed at Royal Plaza in DTD for $89/night last week - cheaper than I could've stayed at Pop Century and we have the buses, Disney stores, etc.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I wouldn't call it my Eden, but I live in mid Missouri. Jefferson City, the capital. It's a litle too right wing elitist for my tastes.
    Sounds like my kind of town.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Add me to the ranks that find the value hotels extremely...tacky. I've never stayed at them, but I've seen the exteriors and they're an eyesore, IMO

As much as I love Disney, and have been there, I've never stayed on site. Technically, yes, but never at a Disney hotel. We have always stayed at the Hotel Plaza/Downtown Disney resort hotels. I prefer the location and if they're on sale, find them to be a better value. That's just my personal preference. I'd love to stay at least a moderate Disney resort, but they're just too expensive, especially compared to the DTD resorts. I stayed at Royal Plaza in DTD for $89/night last week - cheaper than I could've stayed at Pop Century and we have the buses, Disney stores, etc.
    Makes perfect sense to me. Whenever I read literature for the free dining plan and see the "just book a non-discounted package..." bit, I toss it.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

You really should have quit while you were ahead.

No offense, but it's kinda hard to cry poverty when you've visited WDW at least 8 times in the last 12 years.

We've visited twice during that span. Which of us do you think has spent more on lodging?

Going to WDW is very expensive. If you can afford to do it 8 times in 12 years you're not exactly representing the proletariat.
    I think what maybe you missed was his posts of a major life altering career change. Many have gone from very comfortable earnings to down right poor when the economy crashed and he has stated just that.

We have stayed mainly in the moderate hotels and mostly POR. Our shorter vacations in Deluxe.We would have far fewer vacations under our belts if we went deluxe or DVC so I understand what he is saying about the picking the values for his particular disposable income each year. I think it is hard to compare gross spending on hotels before and after the economy crashed. Plus I know when we first started staying at moderates they were $89.00 a night and the values were $69 and off season with special offers $49. Disney has greatly surpassed the CPI with their hotel price increases.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I think what maybe you missed was his posts of a major life altering career change. Many have gone from very comfortable earnings to down right poor when the economy crashed and he has stated just that.
    No I didn't. But that has no bearing on the points I made. If you go to WDW 8 times in 12 years you cannot claim poverty as a reason why you couldn't afford to stay at moderate or deluxe resorts.

If it weren't for him coming unhinged while making comments such as:

The value resorts are NOT eyesores; unless you been counting money all your life.
    or,

but think about those families that can't afford the "high dollar-high falootin" resorts.
    in his "us vs. them" diatribe then I'd have said nothing when he talked about how many times he's been in the last 12 years. Even with his current four year hiatus he has still been there four times as much as my family has in that span. If we attempted to go that many times we'd hardly afford gas money for the trip back home while having to stay off property.

Cut down on the number of trips and save if you want to stay at higher dollar resorts. If not, don't go off on somebody (who you completely misread to begin with) because they can, or can CHOOSE, to afford better accommodations. Especially when YOU could have made that same choice.

There are plenty of people out there that still aren't financially able to take their FIRST trip!
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 03-25-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Just adding to what I said about the Downtown Disney resorts, I don't think they're publicized enough - like I said, they're quite affordable (to me, and believe me, I'm not wealthy) if you compare them to the moderate Disney resorts. I'm sure Disney doesn't make money from them as they do their own resorts, even though they're on WDW property. They have the buses, shops, etc. just like the Disney hotels, but most don't have Extra Magic.
    In response to the dining plan: I agree. I've researched in to that and still come out better packing breakfast, eating lunch at a fast service WDW restaurant then eating at one of the affordable chain restaurants for dinner located on 535 (cheaper than the sit down Disney restaurants)

If those hotels weren't there, there's no way I could've gone last year, this year, and plan on next year. Each time I've gone, I've stayed at a 3.5-4 star hotel for less than the cheapest Disney hotel, and they're more than likely nicer. You just don't get the whole "immersed in Disney" experience. Guess it's preference.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Yeah, that Hilton across from DTD is a really nice hotel. Better than most Hilton's we've ever stayed at. And relatively inexpensive for essentially being on property. Plus, you get EMH included.

With beautiful grounds, rather large rooms, EMH, and a quick walk across the street to the buses at DTD it's an absolute steal.

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Just adding to what I said about the Downtown Disney resorts, I don't think they're publicized enough - like I said, they're quite affordable (to me, and believe me, I'm not wealthy) if you compare them to the moderate Disney resorts. I'm sure Disney doesn't make money from them as they do their own resorts, even though they're on WDW property. They have the buses, shops, etc. just like the Disney hotels, but most don't have Extra Magic.
    And ultimately, you really don't WANT it well-publicised. Keep it quiet, keep the demand low, which will keep the prices down.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    And ultimately, you really don't WANT it well-publicised. Keep it quiet, keep the demand low, which will keep the prices down.
    Very true.

The Hilton is an amazing hotel. It's the only one in that area that has Extra Magic Hours (I'm always in bed). Couldn't get any kind of deal there last time, though, so it was the Royal Plaza down the road - pretty nice place for the price. Most of those are very nice hotels, a couple I don't think I'd stay at, but definitely one of the resort's "best kept secrets."

If I had unlimited $$, I'd love to stay at Beach Club or Yacht Club.

My wife and I, when we lived there, used the Royal Plaza several times. Another really nice hotel.

How is the Palace? We considered that one for a brief layover on our last trip, but went with the Hilton instead. Looks like a pretty nice joint.

Ya, when Disney pulled bus service and then EMH's whatever it was dubbed back then it really hurt those hotels. Somehow the Hilton wiggled back into some of the perks. We stayed a the Hilton a few years back and it was so nice. The beds were very comfy, free full service breakfast, bus fine to get to the parks and we went to the closest hotel from the park when leaving and hopped a bus to DTD. A deluxe hotel for less than what a moderate would have cost us. We did it during a school holiday, spur of moment trip and couldn't get a moderate on sight.

Watch for Lilo88's trip report in a few months. She is a long time member and will be staying at the Palace I think in May. It has been a long time since I've been in there and it has changed hands so many times.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

No I didn't. But that has no bearing on the points I made. If you go to WDW 8 times in 12 years you cannot claim poverty as a reason why you couldn't afford to stay at moderate or deluxe resorts.

If it weren't for him coming unhinged while making comments such as:

or,

in his "us vs. them" diatribe then I'd have said nothing when he talked about how many times he's been in the last 12 years. Even with his current four year hiatus he has still been there four times as much as my family has in that span. If we attempted to go that many times we'd hardly afford gas money for the trip back home while having to stay off property.

Cut down on the number of trips and save if you want to stay at higher dollar resorts. If not, don't go off on somebody (who you completely misread to begin with) because they can, or can CHOOSE, to afford better accommodations. Especially when YOU could have made that same choice.

There are plenty of people out there that still aren't financially able to take their FIRST trip!
    I believe those are separate issues. Loosing your job alters what you can do no matter how many times you vacationed prior.

We could never afford all the trips that we have taken and for 2 weeks at a time if we stayed in deluxe or bought a DVC. Either those trips would have been years apart instead of annually or they would have been weeks instead of 2 weeks. The times we have stayed in a deluxe has been a week or less. So yes someone could add up what I spent on 14 days x almost 2 decades and say I could have stayed at a DVC or Deluxe too and spent less and just fore-fit the amount of days in the park.

I too will only push that so far. I'd rather wait longer than stay at the values. I am very comfortable in POR, ya I'd rather be at the Poly or Beach Club but there is no way I can afford to do that and have a longer vacation. I believe that was what he was driving home, he couldn't afford to stay at a moderate or Deluxe and have taken his family on trips annually so they stay at the values. Now his situation has changed completely. No job, no Disney, that is what I believe the overall point was if you read the back and forth of all the posts. When we all start to parse tiny segments of dialog out of long discussions posts things kinda get taken out of context.

My wife and I, when we lived there, used the Royal Plaza several times. Another really nice hotel.

How is the Palace? We considered that one for a brief layover on our last trip, but went with the Hilton instead. Looks like a pretty nice joint.
    I barely remember staying at the Palace because I was young, but our bus stopped there last time and it is a very well kept looking place. Looking at the photos online, it appears very up to date.

Royal Plaza is getting a very big (and needed) update this year, I was told while there. I'm assuming it's true. The Holiday Inn next door re-opened a couple of years ago and it looks very nice, as well. The only hotels in that area I'd never stay at are the Best Western and Wyndham. I've read some iffy reviews and they don't look great.

Not familiar with the Wyndham there, but the one in downtown Chicago is quite nice.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast