Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March in the Vacation Planning forums; Many seem to be upset by this and other similar 'enforcements' made by Disney. This is just my view but surely if people didn't bend the rules a bit there ...
    MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Big changes coming to FASTPASS in March

Many seem to be upset by this and other similar 'enforcements' made by Disney. This is just my view but surely if people didn't bend the rules a bit there wouldn't be any need for these enforcements? Examples -

Resort mugs being chipped to avoid misuse

$10 booking fee for some ADRs to avoid multiple bookings made by people - enabling more people to get ADRs in the 'hot ticket' eateries.

Guests not using their fast passes within their return window - surely this is just queue management?

Maybe Im the one in the wrong here but I see a rule and follow it - call me a sheep!

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by MissMEY View Post
    Many seem to be upset by this and other similar 'enforcements' made by Disney. This is just my view but surely if people didn't bend the rules a bit there wouldn't be any need for these enforcements? Examples -

Resort mugs being chipped to avoid misuse

$10 booking fee for some ADRs to avoid multiple bookings made by people - enabling more people to get ADRs in the 'hot ticket' eateries.

Guests not using their fast passes within their return window - surely this is just queue management?

Maybe Im the one in the wrong here but I see a rule and follow it - call me a sheep!
    The "chipped" mugs was a test in just one location being driving by an outside vendor trying to get Disney to buy their dispensers. As far as I know it didn't go anywhere.

This is NOT being done because of people who "bend" the rules. It is being driven by requirements of the new upcoming system.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    This is NOT being done because of people who "bend" the rules. It is being driven by requirements of the new upcoming system.
    That's what I read too.

Regarding the PP, I haven't seen anyone screaming in outrage over the change (and it has been marketed as change and not enforcement). Those of us that use FASTPASSes outside of the timeframe were NOT breaking any Disney rule. It was a known fact, you could use the FP after the timeframe listed. Ask any CM or attractions Manager. I actually never understood why people would stand waiting outside of the FP entrance for their time to start. The timeframe was only a "suggested" window for you to come back. However, you couldn't come back before the timeframe.

With the change, I will make sure to come back within the timeframe. I am not for breaking rules or trying to put a CM in an uncomfortable position. However, they are allowing guests to arrive 5 minutes early or 15 minutes past the timeframe listed. I see this getting earlier or later and later and things go back to "normal" within the year. JMHO. Disney is out to make the guests happy afterall.

Also, when the new system (NextGen) come into play for on-site guests, MORE people will most likely take advantage of FPs (or rather reserved ride times) than ever before because it will be offered to them. You'd be surprised how many WDW visitors do NOT know about the FASTPASS or think it is like the Universal Express Pass. (free for onsite guests, costs for non-resort guests) This is just the tip of the iceberg, changes are coming . . .
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

The "chipped" mugs was a test in just one location being driving by an outside vendor trying to get Disney to buy their dispensers. As far as I know it didn't go anywhere
    I can believe that is the saving face, official reply. We all however are very aware that the cups are an issue that Disney would like to settle once and for all. Disney never does anything altruistically like the above statement would indicate. Testing out these dispensers was very controversial and Disney would not go down that road just to be accommodating to a vendor. Vendors, especially the beverage industry accommodate Disney not the other way around. But I can certainly accept that the management of Disney is spinning it this way and leaking that position to the fan base. Now how many believe the spin.....

Actually it does both. A win-win.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Your previous quote made auto-quoting a problem, and I don't feel like doing a cut-and-paste job.

The mug testing WAS driven by a vendor. Disney certainly saw that the possibility of using these machines might result in more money in Disney's pockets by preventing abuse, so at least one suit thought it would be a good thing to try, especially at the vendor's expense.

Once seen in action however, they can see what the real savings would be vs. cost of the machines and implementation plus problems that arise and the customer aggravation at the machines, which as I understand it was pretty high (although some of those reports might be from people who saw it as an affront to their freedom )

Now, if the whole RFID part of NextGen takes off, imagine getting a "virtual" refillable mug tied to your RFID wristband, which would work with these machines too...so we may not have heard the last of it anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Actually it does both. A win-win.
    "It does both" doesn't actually parse with what I said. The changes are being driven by X-Pass. It may also "fix" the mostly-perceptional "issues" caused by late FP use as well, which is I'm sure what you mean.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

So...I just typed up a rather lengthy response here, and my MacBook decided to freeze when I hit the submit button...my luck. Anyway...

I'm surprised this change hasn't come sooner. It's funny how there always was a return by time that wasn't enforced. I'm definitely one of those people who try to use it as soon as possible.

EX: FP for Space Mountain upon arrival at MK. Return time is say, 11:30am. Head over to Frontierland, standby Splash and BTMR. Then go do a couple other things in Frontierland or Adventureland if time permits. Then, head back over to Tomorrowland. Fastpass Buzz right at 11:30, then head on Space Mountain. (Getting another fastpass once that time hits BEFORE you head on the first fastpassed attraction is such a key strategy to maxing out what you can do). Then ride space and go on with the day.

Still, a number I recently heard was that 80% of all FPS are used within the first 10 minutes of the window, with most of the rest within the hour. Very few are actually used later. Although I don't have verification of this number, it actually fits within observations.
    The interesting part is that not only are they used in the first 10 minutes, a line starts to form for those who can't use it just yet. So they wait out the last few minutes until they can use it, which makes it really inconvenient for people coming back to use it and creates a backup in the fastpass line.

The way I see it, by enforcing the time you must use it by (limiting to 1 hour), then people would be more prone to not returning right at the first moment they can use their fastpass. Since most people know that the end time on the fastpass wasn't enforced, they use it as soon as humanly possible so that they can get on the attraction early. That way they don't have to worry about it later on. By enforcing the time you must use it by, I think people would be more prone to not use it immediately, since thought with enforcement could be more of "We have to use it BY this time," as opposed to the current system which people may think "Oh, we can return starting this time."

At least my mindset would change to that.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

arielfan316 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by N.J.boy@N.C.St. View Post

The way I see it, by enforcing the time you must use it by (limiting to 1 hour), then people would be more prone to not returning right at the first moment they can use their fastpass. Since most people know that the end time on the fastpass wasn't enforced, they use it as soon as humanly possible so that they can get on the attraction early. That way they don't have to worry about it later on. By enforcing the time you must use it by, I think people would be more prone to not use it immediately, since thought with enforcement could be more of "We have to use it BY this time," as opposed to the current system which people may think "Oh, we can return starting this time."

At least my mindset would change to that.
    I'd think enforcing the times would cause people to use them as soon as they can.

I know I for one like to do things (even non-Disney related things) right away so I have less chance of forgetting about it.
    Visits to Disney:

February 2009: off-site 1 day trip to Epcot and Magic Kingdom

February 2010: All Star Movies 7 days, 6 nights of magic

February 2011: All Star Music 7 days, 6 nights of magic

September 2012: All Star Movies 4 days, 3 nights of magic

March 2013: All Star Movies 3 days, 2 nights of magic

April 2013: Pop Century 3 days, 2 night of magic

(Upcoming) January 2014 6 days, 5 nights of magic

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by arielfan316 View Post
    I'd think enforcing the times would cause people to use them as soon as they can.

I know I for one like to do things (even non-Disney related things) right away so I have less chance of forgetting about it.
    I'm like that, too. Granted, it would depend on how my day is going and how I have things planned out. If I'm on the opposite side of a park, I'm not going to waste my time heading all the way back and back to where I came from. If I'm in that area it's a different story, but if I know I have time for one more thing where I am then I'm going to do that first.

Then again, people have different mindsets on vacation, let alone in Disney World. Everyone's different, I guess.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

There are various possible effects of enforcement that I can see right now (independent of X-Pass mucking things up):

If a person who typically get FPs to use them late...

1) ...gets the FP still and shows up on time, you'll see the standby line slow down a bit more early, and then even out as the day went on, and the FP line will be slightly busier earlier on as well, less so later. Minute amounts, probably.

2) ...gets the FP still but then doesn't use it, you'll see the standby and FP lines speed up since it is one less person in either line taking a spot on the attraction.

3) ...doesn't get the FP at all, then that's one more FP available to a person that wanted one, and likely the same results as 1)
    Doc

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

I see this as a huge plus and I am pretty excited for what is to come.

I am envisioning an online scheduling system where a day of admission is granted a certain number of Fast Passes, and you can schedule them out online in certain time windows before hand to create a sensible touring plan for your day. I see internet interactivity with park maps and more scheduled crowd flow streamlining for parks operations.

I have no idea if this is what will be taking place, but the possibilities seem pretty great. I would gladly pay a little extra to receive a benefit like this, and I really have no problem with it at all (like some folks on some boards seem to). Change is good. Bring it on!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

This is one of those odd changes that for once I am just very 'whatever' about. Not a good thing. Not a bad thing. Don't really care. Not thrilled with the idea that people can go in before their time BUT thrilled with the fact that I won't have to push through a group of people standing outside the entrance staring at the clock because they were 3 minutes early. Not thrilled that people can enter after their time is up but grateful for the leway incase my son decides when we're on our way to the attraction that he has to go to the bathroom and it puts us behind.

It's one of those changes that won't really change how we use the FP system at all... at least not in the initial/general sense before the bigger changes come.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Cassiebaby2012 is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm actually in the middle of the road on this one. I've only used the FP once and we came back during our time slot. But then again I always go during value season when crowds are slightly less than during the peak season. Maybe if I went during peak It would be something I would use more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12