Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Attractions that need the most help? in the Vacation Planning forums; Are there any attractions at WDW that you feel need big help, or just need to be shut down and replaced with something else? At Epcot, I just feel that ...
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Attractions that need the most help?

Are there any attractions at WDW that you feel need big help, or just need to be shut down and replaced with something else?

At Epcot, I just feel that Universe of Energy needs serious help - I like the idea of it, but it's extremely dated, and rarely attracts large crowds. I think Future World is in desperate need of TLC overall, but I'd say this is in the most need of help. I love the dinosaur animatronics and the idea of an Energy show, but I think it needs to be greatly shortened and needs a new, updated film that's more reflective of the 2010s and not the 1990s

At Magic Kingdom: Stitch. It just needs to go. Alien Encounter was pretty good, but trying to make it kid-friendly by Stitch-ifying it was just a mistake. I don't see anything fixing it. I'm no expert, but I don't think it's extremely popular either.

Carousel Of Progress. I like it a lot, but it needs updating in the final scene and the theater's interior has gotten quite worn. An issue with updating just the final scene of this, though, may be that it's kind of odd to have the 1900s, 1920s, 1940s, then jump to 2010s - originally, I think the final scene was the 1960s, so it made more sense as each scene was every 20 years. It could be updated to 1900s, 1940s, 1980s, current, with a spread of around 40 years between scenes, but I don't know how well that would go over, since there is so much history behind the first 3 scenes.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Campbell87 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Attractions that need the most help?

The Great Movie Ride could do with a major over-hauling! It really needs to update it's scenes to include some more modern day movies, much like those in the 'sort of' updated end video. A few new bits of movie memorabilia wouldn't go a-miss in the lobby either!
    1999 DLP, 2000 - DLP, 2002 POR, 2004 DLP, 2005 AKL, 2006/07 AKL, 2008 Four points by Sheraton (NON Disney!), 2008 - SSR, 2010 AKL, 2011 Rosen Inn @ Universal, 2012 - AKL

I agree with that one, as well. Especially the "Alien" scene - yeah, it's kinda cool to look at, but does anybody even care about that movie anymore? Most of them are timeless classics, but that one is not.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

clj2, can't help but agree completely with your assessment. I'm still on the fence concerning CoP. I think some classics simply shouldn't be touched. But, if they came up with a better ending scene I wouldn't be adverse to it.

As for EPCOT, well, where do you even start when it comes to Future World? I was 12 y.o. when it opened and I fell in love with it immediately. Too much has changed, and too many of those changes have not been good, IMO. UoE was a snoozer from the beginning, so I won't fault it much at this point. I refuse to ride Mission:Space because spin-n-puke rides don't excite me. Test Track is finally getting a sorely needed overhaul, but we won't know the results of it for several months. It was still a great ride, so I doubt they'll do anything BUT plus it up.

Spaceship Earth is great until the decline. Oh, I mean the descent...

I miss The Living Seas. It was really the apotheosis of what EPCOT Center was really all about. It was "edutainment" to the nth degree. The Nemo overlay is awful, IMO. And the tank looks nearly empty compared to a decade ago. Most people don't think so, but I feel that pavilion needs a lot of help. The Land, in a rare case, might be at its best right now. I wish they had actually boat captains back on the Living With The Land ride, but that's my only complaint there.

Journey Into Imagination...ugh. I've never been able to make any sense of why they completely destroyed this pavilion, so I'm not going to try now. If we can't get the original ride back, can't we at least have the upstairs arcade?

At the MK, Stitches Great Mistake needs to be bulldozed, and quickly. That little corner of Tomorrowland has been one boring disaster after another, with the exception of the really solid Alien Encounter.

Not much else I can think of right off the top of my head.

toweristops is offline A-Ticket holder

You captured a lot of the big ones at EPCOT already but my list would include: the entire Imagination Pavilion, UoE (not having an updated film is kind of an epic fail), and dare we say Wonders of Life Pavilion since it just sits there rotting.

MK - Stitch, and Jungle Cruise (just needs that upgrade that has been rumored forever).

HS - Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour (needs some real imagineering with it's scope so reduced), and Sounds Dangerous (could they just figure something new to put here please).

AK - just because we can - Dinosaur (mainly for maintenance issues though I could add EE as well due to that)

The only things I think Future World has going for it are The Land and Test Track. Spaceship Earth is pretty good but doesn't get a ton of hype. The Seas is an absolute joke. Mission Space was a fail. Even when the whole place is crowded, Space never got a really long line. I mean, it's not deserted, but considering the hype and effort that Dis put in to it, and considering that it's just a little over 8 years old, I'd say fail. Back in late August, wait times were typically 10 mins for both versions. Universe of Energy isn't bad, but it's just outdated. Then there's WoL, which seems pretty much over.
    Imagination has been worse (I never experienced JIYO, but I've seen the video, and it looks terrible), so I'll give it a little slack. The whole empty upstairs, though, is just a disappointment. I enjoy it. Captain EO isn't bad - what do you all want to bet that if Michael were still with us, HISTA would still be playing there? It was getting pretty dated.

Future World just needs a lot of work, period. I still love it, but it's just disappointing. I wish I could have been around in the early-mid 80s to experience it in its full glory. The Seas has the most MASSIVE queue I've ever seen for the kind of attraction it is (and I've never seen it near lined out the door). It's been so kiddie-fied it's kind of stupid for adults now. I hardly even saw any fish last time, either, but that's such a minimal part of the ride now - last time, I actually thought to myself, "I don't ever care to do this again"...that's a feeling I rarely get from anything at Disney

This never would have happened, but it would've been cool if Monsters, Inc (which I love) had gone to where Stitch is and they had kept The Timekeeper, updated it, or put something else over there. I'd rather see Timekeeper than Stitch any day.

The Sounds Dangerous building really needs something. I can't believe that attraction's still on the map. Good suggestion.
    Last edited by clj2; 03-20-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Then there's WoL, which seems pretty much over.
    "Pretty much over"? It's been closed for years.

Future World just needs a lot of work, period. I still love it, but it's just disappointing. I wish I could have been around in the early-mid 80s to experience it in its full glory.
    I wish everyone could have been around to experience it in its full glory. Then maybe enough people would be disappointed enough in it that Disney would pay more attention.

The overall problem with Furture World is incredibly complex, and a subject I don't have the time to go into in-depth right now. I'm just sad to see it in such a state of decay.

The guy who ran this blog hasn't updated it in years, but you may find some interesting stuff here.

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/

Excellent thread, BTW. Definitely one I can get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    "Pretty much over"? It's been closed for years.
    I know, but I mean that any hope or prospect of the building ever being put to use outside of event space is over. If Disney wanted to do anything with it, they would have by now. I noticed last week that the roof on that building is looking kind of bad. Personally, I don't miss anything in WoL except for maybe Cranium Command, but the idea behind it sitting there like it has frusturates me. It aged poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    "
    I wish everyone could have been around to experience it in its full glory. Then maybe enough people would be disappointed enough in it that Disney would pay more attention.

The overall problem with Furture World is incredibly complex, and a subject I don't have the time to go into in-depth right now. I'm just sad to see it in such a state of decay.

The guy who ran this blog hasn't updated it in years, but you may find some interesting stuff here.

http://epcot82.blogspot.com/
    That's an awesome blog.
    IMO, Epcot became too serious for Disney. We saw attractions either be made kid-friendly (Imagination, Seas), or made in to thrill rides (Test Track [although it's popular, so I guess that was a good decision], Mission Space). I agree with the idea mentioned in that blog, that it's just a hodge podge now. I'm not really familiar with Horizons or World Of Motion other than from what I've seen online, but what they did to The Seas is a disgrace. FW seems to be on the back burner.

Yeah, I found that blog over a year ago when I was lamenting what has become of EPCOT. The author pretty much sums up everything I think whenever I visit there these days. It's still may favorite gate, but anymore I think that may simply be due to nostalgia.

Though, one minor correction to your last post. Journey Into Imagination was always a "kiddie" ride. The original had Figment and Dreamfinder, was a lot longer than the current version, and done VERY well, IMO. On its surface it was somewhat an anomaly in Future World. Yet, it still fit, and still worked.

Horizons was fantastic, but I'll admit it probably wouldn't hold up well today. And I'm the biggest World Of Motion homer you'll ever come across, but I'll admit it might not hold up well either.

Thing is, Future World really presented a hopeful and futuristic look at our world. I still contend that the internet, which was foreseen in the original Spaceship Earth, is partially responsible for the downfall of Future World. Back then you went to EPCOT Center to get a glimpse of cutting edge technology and all the wonderful things our past, present, and future had to offer. The World Key kiosks were touch screen wonders you really couldn't see anywhere else.

Now we all walk around with iPhones.

It's hard to explain, but when I find the words I'll be sure to jot them down here one day.

'Til then, I think the original EPCOT Center poster summed it up as perfectly as I've ever seen.

That image captured my imagination well before the park opened. And I still appreciate its perfection to this day.

I don't think FW will ever return to the way it was in the 80s or early 90s, but I think there is potential for improvement if they would put some effort in to it. Disney has shown that they're capable of putting out some good things lately...look at the return of the real Enchanted Tiki Room, and Fantasyland changes. I think the science and technology idea still has potential, and attractions can be made around them. Personally, I love the idea of a Space attraction, but I don't think Mission Space was the proper way to execute one. It's not really like something you'd really expect at a Disney park (the ride style), it is too intense and is far from mass appeal.
    I don't think The Seas needed to be gutted nearly as much as it was. What on earth were they thinking with that queue line?! I was behind several groups last week that couldn't believe how long it was, considering that it's literally a walk-on many times, especially in the mornings.

Getting back to attractions needing help, honestly, I think everything at Future World except for The Land, Spaceship Earth and Test Track (which is already getting an update) need something done in some way or another. I agree about the Backlot Tour which was mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by clj2; 03-21-2012 at 03:33 AM.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Bring back Horizons as a sequel to CoP... then you cna leave CoP in the 20th century. I do wish they would clean the film or lens on Soarin"

When I was down there last time, I noticed a few films that needed cleaning. I know France was one.

imagineer-to-be is offline A-Ticket holder

The wedding scene in the France movie always makes me laugh a little. The wedding dress in the wedding scene is VERY 80s! But if they update the film, I hope they don't touch the soundtrack! The classical music is so moving
    Emma

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Bring back Horizons as a sequel to CoP... then you cna leave CoP in the 20th century. I do wish they would clean the film or lens on Soarin"
    The thing that amazes me is how awe-inspiring that ride and movie still is, even considering how flawed it has become.

That says a lot, I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast