Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss What to do with Future World? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz Either way I'd be willing to bet he'd have been very happy with the original EPCOT Center. Originally Posted by SuperStarKerri Here here! Sure. Anyone ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: What to do with Future World?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Either way I'd be willing to bet he'd have been very happy with the original EPCOT Center.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStarKerri View Post
    Here here!
    Sure. Anyone within the Disney family or the company would have been happy with something that garnered loads of attention and was helping to make lots of money. But being happy and/or satisfied with the outcome is a very different statement from it being what Walt originally wanted.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

His thoughts and vision evolved just like most, supe. Just like you stated earlier, he made changes to the Disneyland concept early on. Even eventually gave in and put a roller coaster in it.

Far as I know, he was fairly pleased with Disneyland.

I don't think he would have thought of EPCOT Center as a complete replacement of EPCOT. But, even considering that, he may have eventually come to the conclusion that it would have to be.

Walt was all about family fun and entertainment, as well as making lots and lots of money. I'd think he'd be tickled pink with the state of WDW, for the most part.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

yes you are right... but EPCOT was different in his mind... EPCOT was his chance to break away from theme parks and make a living breathing city... I'm not so sure what he would think of what we have now let alone what opened in 1982...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Fair enough.

What about EPCOT itself AS a tourist destination? I could easily see it evolving to something like that. A showcase of future modern living kind of thing.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I think the point was more that Walt would've loved what they decided to do with EPCOT once it was determined that building a city of the future was a little hefty to take on.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

If by that you mean creating a more viable source of income to bankroll future projects for the company, then yes, he would have been thrilled. Afterall, that was the underlying plan behind many of his movies were about... to fund his amusement park down the line.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think Future World needs as extensive of an overhaul as what they are doing with Fantasyland. More extensive, and it needs it worse than FL did. Sadly, the "old" Future World is dead. Horizons is not coming back. Wonders Of Life isn't coming back. ImageWorks will never be what it once was. Etc. It's just the changing of the times. However, I think Disney did a poor job of evolving from the original "Future World" concept.

I think a gate based on science and technology is still quite viable (even in an "ADD society"). It's just that the execution is poor here. They need to update the Universe Of Energy. I've long suggested that the film needs to be totally re-shot and whacked way down to shorten the whole attraction. Keep the dino part. A space themed attraction is fantastic, but the execution of M:S is poor and popularity is mediocre. I would like a more mass-appeal, family-friendly attraction that is more like something you would expect from Disney (in terms of intensity). A 3D dark ride would be really interesting, but might be too far out. Test Track, SSE, and The Land are fine. Journey Into Imagination needs to be refurb'ed and improved. I would find a way to re-introduce the Dreamfinder character in to the existing attraction, and make use of the upstairs portion (an "Epcot-view" restaurant, perhaps?). I *love* Captain EO, but something new is needed in there. I don't know about The Seas. Personally, I detest it now....what a stupid mess. Who knows how much longer the ride part could be if they hadn't made that queue line so long. Seems like it takes 3 minutes of walking in there to get where the line begins. The aquarium's state is almost as sad.
    Wonders of Life is a shame, and is just another sign of how little Disney seems to care about FW. It's safe to say it's not re-opening as what it once was. It only lasted 17 years...such a shame. I would think the structure is still usable, should they ever put another attraction in there.

They need to work on it cosmetically - IMO FW is the most ragged looking of all of the parks. It LOOKS neglected (landscaping aside). Imagination needs those horrible Kodak colors taken off of it. At least they got those horrible rainbow colors off of UoE. Those tents near the "pin trading" area at the entrance need to go.

Just some of my thoughts and ideas. Despite all of the issues, the park is still gorgeous and by far my favorite to photograph.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Pretty much agree with every word. Although I'd say SSE isn't "fine". They need to finish the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    I don't know about The Seas. Personally, I detest it now....what a stupid mess. Who knows how much longer the ride part could be if they hadn't made that queue line so long. Seems like it takes 3 minutes of walking in there to get where the line begins.
    I agree with a lot of what you said here. This part in particular I just wanted to comment on though. The "ride" was actually there when the pavilion opened (lots of leak issues and closures so it shut down in 2001 officially) and was originally designed to be relatively short. The concept was to move you from above sea level to below via the Hyrdolators and then into Sea Base Alpha via the ride. The real "show" was the pavilion itself. The ride didn't really have a "show" other than glass walls that viewed the aquarium. Personally I was kind of amazed that they were able to fit so much into the new Nemo version for that reason.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said here. This part in particular I just wanted to comment on though. The "ride" was actually there when the pavilion opened (lots of leak issues and closures so it shut down in 2001 officially) and was originally designed to be relatively short. The concept was to move you from above sea level to below via the Hyrdolators and then into Sea Base Alpha via the ride. The real "show" was the pavilion itself. The ride didn't really have a "show" other than glass walls that viewed the aquarium. Personally I was kind of amazed that they were able to fit so much into the new Nemo version for that reason.
    Wasn't there a pre-show before you boarded the ride and Hyrdolators?

I didn't find the Nemo and improvement.

I saw Crush for the first time this trip. It was actually very funny, oddly funnier than Laugh.

The end of SSE to me was a let-down.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Wasn't there a pre-show before you boarded the ride and Hyrdolators?

I didn't find the Nemo and improvement.
    Yep there was a preshow before you boarded too! You went into a round room with a pre-preshow (lol) and then into a theater for a film before boarding them.

I don't necessarily find Nemo an improvement but it was a creative way to bring the ride piece of the pavilion which was just sitting there gathering dust back to life. LOL

The Living Seas refresher course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBsN7gZFA8

The Seabase Alpha concept was simply brilliant. The Living Seas was EPCOT Center on steroids. The quintessential pavilion and attraction.

I feel bad for those who never got to witness it in its glory days. It put everything else in Future World to shame.

Now it's just a shame...

Thanks for all of the comments re: The Living Seas. I only did the original once so my memory is quite rusty. I think it should have been left alone as the seas are always going to be relevant and timeless. It's not as easy to "date" as Horizons and World Of Motion were. The Nemo ride part just annoys me, especially that "blue world" or whatever the song is.

What a way to gut a once top-notch attraction. Judging by the lines, was it even worth ruining?
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

I guess that once United Technologies sponsorship ended and Disney took over the pavilion they decided they were going to put their own twist on it.

Plus, with all the whiners who complained that EPCOT Center was too "boring" and "educational", and that it didn't appeal to kids...

It was inevitable, but lamentable in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I guess that once United Technologies sponsorship ended and Disney took over the pavilion they decided they were going to put their own twist on it.

Plus, with all the whiners who complained that EPCOT Center was too "boring" and "educational", and that it didn't appeal to kids...

It was inevitable, but lamentable in the extreme.
    I guess so. I feel that they could have stayed "exciting" enough with everything else and left the Seas alone (at least the other "edu-tainment" attractions that were replaced, like WoM and Horizons, had replacements with "substance"; the Seas was absolutely gutted and trashed).

I would be interested in knowing how the popularity in 2012 would be if it were in its original vs current form. Like I've said, I don't think Nemo & Friends is very popular. The waiting area is nearly intimidating it is so long, but rarely is there a wait. I was there during the spring break crowds and walked right on in the morning....everything else had lines. I even had to wait a few minutes for JII around the same time of day. I guess Seas and Figment are around the same popularity level.
    Last edited by clj2; 06-06-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast