Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
WDW Theme Parks Discuss What to do with Future World? in the Vacation Planning forums; Never seen Fantasmic, but I saw the water screen projection show they had at Sea World many years before the Studios were built. It was interesting at the time....
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: What to do with Future World?

Never seen Fantasmic, but I saw the water screen projection show they had at Sea World many years before the Studios were built. It was interesting at the time.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post

Listen to the Land - 14:55

Journey Into imagination - Can't find the ride duration of the original, but the current version is 11 minutes. So we can safely assume the original was around 15 minutes.
    Original Land was 13 1/2 and your guess for JII was dang close, it was 14 minutes.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Original Land was 13 1/2 and your guess for JII was dang close, it was 14 minutes.
    I figured it had to be somewhere close to that. Wasn't it something like 20-30% of the old track that they cut out?

The duration for Living With... came from Wikipedia, so I'm completely shocked that it was a bit off!

Either way, it's one of the reasons why Mike's argument about the ride lengths from the original EPCOT Center being too long confuses me. Except for UoE, they were all shorter than Spaceship Earth. Which I don't find long at all. I'd say it's just right.

Maybe it's just me.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I did Ellen in April for the first time in many visits. The pre-show was long and to me the best part. It is a good place to wait out the rain though. Years ago it was in the Imagination or WoL pavilions that we hid out during the storms.

Actually because our trips were normally 2 weeks, we'd save Future World for bad weather days. So much to do in most of the Pavilions back then. We could easily spend 2 hours at the Sea, 2 at the Land, 2 or 3 in Imagination and at least 1 1/2 in WoL. Sad for those who never saw her in her glory days.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

And that was really the point of EPCOT Center. It was meant to be a slower pace. A park to thoroughly explore and savor. Thrill rides were really antithetical to the whole idea behind it.

I miss it. I truly do.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    And that was really the point of EPCOT Center. It was meant to be a slower pace. A park to thoroughly explore and savor. Thrill rides were really antithetical to the whole idea behind it.

I miss it. I truly do.
    You nailed it.
    Sans Body Wars at WoL, which was a bit of a latecomer anyway, there wasn't a "thrill ride" one at EPCOT Center. It didn't need any.
    I truly miss it, as well.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

And I was 12 when I first visited in late '82.

Now, if a 12 y.o. "gets" it and doesn't mind the pacing/lack of thrills, I mean, c'mon...

I always loved how people said it was "too educational". Always wondered exactly what was wrong with education?

MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder

I cannot believe the current Journey Into Imagination is really 11 minutes?! I thought it was more like 6.

I hear you on missing being able to spend literally hours in a pavilion. The Land really is the only one left where you can do that. On a recent trip to WDW I actually was at EPCOT for rope drop and spent between 3-4 hours in The Land pavilion

Now, I literally did about everything you can in the pavilion. I fastpassed and rode Soarin', rode Living with the Land, took the Behind the Seeds tour, ate at the Sunshine Seasons, etc. I suppose I did not eat at the Garden Grill, but had it been open I just may have. But really, this is the only pavilion, aside from Imagination, that has more than one attraction.

I am really hoping that the Test Track refurb/renovation adds a bit more of that interactive and educational element. I have high hopes for it.

It seems like the biggest thing that has been lost is that none of the rides really have that envisioning of the future that all the "classic" EPCOT attractions had. It is not really even the fact that the vision of the future was right, but I think it is worth having to just get people thinking, hoping, dreaming, etc. To me that is what EPCOT was all about, and even though it is nothing like what Walt had envisioned, that envisioning of the future definitely inspired you to think about the future and what it might be like. Unfortunately the attractions just do not even try to do that anymore.

I just remember walking out of Horizons, Universe of Energy, etc. and thinking about what cool stuff we might have in the future, as a result of what I saw in those attractions. It would be cool to see that spirit come back.

MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by TIx2GR View Post
    I wish they would get rid of that whole Pocahontas scene in the middle. I know they did it to make it different from DL's version of Fantasmic w/Peter Pan and Hook, but I always felt as though the Pocahontas part was forced and didn't really do ANYTHING for the story of Mickey's imagination. I mean, not that pre-colonial prejudice was a good thing by any stretch, but is that really what Mickey is dealing with here, or is it Malificient?

/thread drift. Just hit a nerve with Fantasmic. Wishing they'd change it up for years.
    While it is off topic, I totally agree with you here. The Pocahontas bit makes absolutely no sense. I think the vast majority of people would rather see almost any other Disney film represented here. Personally I think it would be cool if they replaced this scene with some sort of Dr. Facilier bit.

I agree about the water projection sequences too. I like them, but I am pretty sure more time is spent watching them then is actually spent watching a live show.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234