Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss One of Guests Biggest Complaints with World Showcase is the Costumes? in the Vacation Planning forums; WDW Magic is reporting: Walt Disney Imagineering is currently working on all new costumes for Epcot's World Showcase pavilions. According to sources familiar with the situation, new costumes will be ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

One of Guests Biggest Complaints with World Showcase is the Costumes?

WDW Magic is reporting:

Walt Disney Imagineering is currently working on all new costumes for Epcot's World Showcase pavilions. According to sources familiar with the situation, new costumes will be introduced first at the American Adventure and Mexico, with more to follow.

Guest feedback has reportedly been indicating for some time that World Showcase is viewed as somewhat dated, with the costumes being identified as one of the biggest issues. Imagineering is therefore moving to make World Showcase a more current version of the "world", and not a historic, museum-like recreation.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Re: One of Guests Biggest Complaints with World Showcase is the Costumes?

The world showcase costumes were "dated" when that half of the park opened, by design.

When I think of items that I would like to see happen, I must admit costumes were not what came to mind. If they are going to go "modern" with the American Pavilion, I wonder what they will be in?

A tuxedo?
    Skinny Jeans and a T-Shirt?
    Khakis and a Polo Shirt?

I sure wonder how many guests had issues with the CM's costumes. How do Americans, Japanese, Mexican, Germans etc., dress differently in these modern times. I don't mind new costumes, just curious about it being a concern of guests and if all the CM's will look the same if Disney is really going modern.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-02-2012 at 07:54 PM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Imagineer Mel is offline B-Ticket Holder

I really don't see how people are irrated by that unless they are from that country but I feel like it would be part of their heritage. I like the costumes now. I agree that if you made it modern, they would all look the same and the same as the guests.
    “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

All the pavilions in WS are frozen in time. Modern day countries don't look anything like their pavilions, so "dated" costumes really help to keep you immersed in your surroundings.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

There's a blistering email about this on The Disney Project, and normally I don't give that kind of stuff much credence, but this is from Lonnie Hicks:

http://www.thedisneyproject.com/2012...rs-new_28.html

Quote Originally Posted by weepstah View Post
    There's a blistering email about this on The Disney Project, and normally I don't give that kind of stuff much credence, but this is from Lonnie Hicks:

http://www.thedisneyproject.com/2012...rs-new_28.html
    The site basically says that they are just changing the American pavilion costumes to flight attendants outfits. That seems out of place. And after reading the article, I want to take pictures with cast members. I never thought about that before.
    “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
    ― Dr. Seuss

Thank you. That was an interesting read. It seems to imply that they are going to trade the CM's traditional colonial period costumes for modern business wear. Sport coats. Guess if Disney really wanted to, that would be modern wear in most every country in the World Showcase. Disney could go generic but I can't imagine why unless it is just that much cheaper. So will the wait staff in the dining venues be in black pants, white shirt and an apron? I guess I'll have to wait and see what the CM's start showing up to work in.

Oy. I get frustrated when Disney fixes what isn't broken and doesn't focus on what really needs to be attended to.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Oy. I get frustrated when Disney fixes what isn't broken and doesn't focus on what really needs to be attended to.
    As Cogsworth would say, "If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!"
    ― Dr. Seuss

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I too, get the feeling that Disney is heading for a generic costume across the board that they can pass off as being the attire of our modern day world wide community.

And Lonnie is right, if there is so much money in the budget that they can afford to start making changes there are so many more pressing matters they need to address first.