Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Kali River Rapids in December in the Vacation Planning forums; My wife and I are taking a week trip to WDW in December the week of the 11th. My wife has not been to the world since she was little ...
    jmwa47 is offline A-Ticket holder

Kali River Rapids in December

My wife and I are taking a week trip to WDW in December the week of the 11th. My wife has not been to the world since she was little in 1990 so she really wants to ride all rides including Kali River Rapids. It has been almost 10 years since I last went but I remember getting pretty wet on the ride. I think it will be too cool out to ride the water ride but she is convinced it will be warm enough. For those of you that live in Florida or have been in December in the past, what is the temperature like? Would we be crazy to ride the ride in the middle of December? Thanks in advance!

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Kali River Rapids in December

I don't live in FL, but I can tell you in the south December isn't always that cool. Here in Austin we had a high of 82 today, and I just looked at what the weather would be like in the World tomorrow and there's a high of 80.

That being said, no one knows what the weather is really going to be like from one week to the next. If you're going to be in the parks at anytime of year you have to be willing to improvise with what obstacles you're given. It could rain all day, it could be too hot, too cold, rides might be shut down for maintenance, crowds may be too heavy...

I would advise you plan to make as much time to do everything you really want to do in the precious time you have in the World, but don't let it ruin your vacation if not everything goes according to plan.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Last year was a very warmish winter. My son never switched to pants other than the annual cold snap for the January WDW Marathon. I was down from just before Christmas through the 1st week of January and it was a high around mid 70's. Yet the week before it was in the 40's-50's. We did both waterparks, we were swimming and lifeguards were in warm-ups and jackets. Guess it is where you are from. Guideline, if the waterpark is closed because of temperature Kali will be too cold too. Yes you get very wet. My kids took off their shoes and wore their rain poncho's.

When my kids did the water rides in March at Universal they did those and made a bee-line back to hotel to change but from AK, that can be an hour commute unless you have a car. I tend to skip Kali, I just don't enjoy being soaked down to my unmentionables.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

adan65 is offline A-Ticket holder

Disney's first effort at a stream rapids kind drive, Kali River Rapids is my choose as the most underwhelming fascination at Wally Disney globe World. Observe I didn't say "bad;" however, it could be the poster boy for two-star theme recreation area trips.

jmwa47 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for the info. I know weather can be very unpredictable but I just wanted to get an idea if people had ridden the ride this time of year.

Thanks for the tip HauntedGabe, I will be sure to check to see what the water parks do. So far, it looks like rain on the day we are supposed to be in Animal Kingdom. I guess if we are going to get wet already, we might as well get wet on a ride!

DisneyFanNJ93 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Don't know if this was mentioned but Lou and Tim talked on a show about Kali in the cooler months and they said that they have heaters set up to warm up and dry off after riding also if the ride is designed like grizzly river run in DL they have two different rapids settings one for the summer and one for the fall and winter where the rapids are less intense.

Enjoy your trip I'll be down Jan 13th-19th
    94 WL, 96 DL, 99 DL, 00 OKW, 01 DL, 01 GF 02 VWL, 03 DCL Western Magic & CS, 04 OKW, 06 Poly
    08 BWV, 09 BWV & DCL
    DVC Members since 00

"Hang on to them hats and glasses! 'Cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!" - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Csmith041177 is offline B-Ticket Holder

My family and I always go in December, and we always ride Kali River Rapids. Honestly, Florida weather is hard to predict. This past year, it was 70 degrees and perfect. 2 years ago, Florida had records lows and we froze to death on all the water rides. Just keep an eye on the weather, as you can get anything that type of year at WDW.

And for those going down soon, Kali is closed from 1/6 until 2/15/13.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

It might not be a bad idea to make sure Kali is the last thing you do before a trip back to the hotel
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcb View Post
    It might not be a bad idea to make sure Kali is the last thing you do before a trip back to the hotel
    Thats exactly the opposite of what we do. Its always our first thing (depending on temperature of course). Maybe Canadians are heartier when it comes to temperatures.

Also, the free lockers are a great added features. Saves your electronics and other items you want to be water free,

When we do Kali, which isn't often we always do last. I do not enjoy walking in soggy shoes, socks clothing and undergarments. Not a big fan of sopping wet.