Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Bring in the Clowns in the Vacation Planning forums; Oh yep, this is going to be fun. [/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/COLOR] Clowns, creepy. https://twitter.com/WDWClown...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Bring in the Clowns

Oh yep, this is going to be fun. [/B][/B][/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

Clowns, creepy.
    https://twitter.com/WDWClown
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 12-06-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm not either. I just don't see what the big deal is.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

I had to laugh this evening watching NCIS LA, the Clown episode. Clown shoots armored car worker and worker shoots clown. NCIS agent freaks when he finds dead clown in dumpster and says 'I hate clowns.' Me, flashback to Disney picture.

Reminded me of the Disney Clown in the middle. Would have been funnier if it was ABC.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Maybe a tribute for the most famous clown in our countries history, the infamous John Wayne Gacy who was Pogo the clown.
    Infamous, sure. But certainly not the most famous. I'd probably go with Ronald McDonald as the clown with the most fame. In 2012, he'd most likely even be identified more easily than Bozo by any children targed by this land. Even the young parents of these even younger children probably have only heard Gacy's name in passing, but couldn't draw a mental image any easier than they could Emmett Kelly. So now, I would have to disagree that Storybook Circus is not going to immediately conjure up thoughts of John Wayne Gacy. Maybe in the 70s and 80s. But cetainly not in the minds of parents in their 20s or early 30s, and definitely not in the minds of their children. Some silly clown hawking burgers and fries? That'd probably be more like it. And that clown is tied to fast food restaurants, not circuses.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Even bringing up Gacy in this thread is beyond ridiculous, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Infamous, sure. But certainly not the most famous. I'd probably go with Ronald McDonald as the clown with the most fame. In 2012, he'd most likely even be identified more easily than Bozo by any children targed by this land. Even the young parents of these even younger children probably have only heard Gacy's name in passing, but couldn't draw a mental image any easier than they could Emmett Kelly. So now, I would have to disagree that Storybook Circus is not going to immediately conjure up thoughts of John Wayne Gacy. Maybe in the 70s and 80s. But cetainly not in the minds of parents in their 20s or early 30s, and definitely not in the minds of their children. Some silly clown hawking burgers and fries? That'd probably be more like it. And that clown is tied to fast food restaurants, not circuses.
    Maybe it is an age thing too, me being older and around when Gacy was finally arrested. Here still a big deal because they are still digging up possible mass grave sites. I was on a ski lift in Aspen when I first heard, I believe he is listed as one of the most infamous serial killers of all times, especially preying on young boys all the while playing a clown at children's parties. But being gone for almost 20 years, it may indeed be history to many.

Bozo was likely the only clown I wasn't creeped by. Likely because he was on TV not in person. Ronald always creeped me. Still a believer that I'm among many who are creeped by clowns, including children. Find clowns just too generic for Disney entertainment however they fit the pattern of the rides offered in Storybook, a spinner and a shelf coaster, at least Dumbo is a really tricked up spinner, well done.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Im gonna jump in for jumping ins sake... I will admit as a child I was creeped out by clowns (which was not helped by the fact that my baby room had a clown theme)... but I think that these clowns 9 times out of 10 will not be an issue for children... they seem to be simply walk around characters and probably will include skits that will show them in a positive light... as Mike pointed out, they are secondary characters, and thus will not warrant any billing on signage, but I think they would be needed for a true "circus" atmosphere to be achieved...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

When will they start selling Dumbo ears? lol

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    Im gonna jump in for jumping ins sake... I will admit as a child I was creeped out by clowns (which was not helped by the fact that my baby room had a clown theme)... but I think that these clowns 9 times out of 10 will not be an issue for children... they seem to be simply walk around characters and probably will include skits that will show them in a positive light... as Mike pointed out, they are secondary characters, and thus will not warrant any billing on signage, but I think they would be needed for a true "circus" atmosphere to be achieved...
    I saw a video of one of their performances a couple of days ago. They all talk, so that almost completely negates the creepy factor, IMO. When I was a kid, it was the clowns that didn't talk that always freaked me out.

The poignant John Wayne Gacy Tribute wasn't in the video I saw, but I'll keep looking.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Yeh... Mine were creepy because they were pictures on the wall... And in the 80's pics on the wall didn't talk either... Now they probably do...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Hahahaha...good one!!

4Shoemakers is offline A-Ticket holder

Bring in the Clowns

Nice thread. However, my 6 year old twins were VERY DISAPPOINTED by the storybook area in mid November (yes, I know it was before the FLE officially opened) when they were going to a fantasy circus and there were no clowns. They had been creeped out by clowns in the past just like my wife and I but the boys were also freaked out by animatronics until they experienced them in a comfortable setting with us at WDW. Things seem scary and creepy until you are exposed to them in a comfortable situation (i.e. Haunted Mansion).

Should clowns be there? Sure. My kids are so freaked out by parades (due to loud sirens/marching bands) that we had to plead with them just to watch the parade on Main Street from a distance. So should we get rid of the parades because they freak out some people? No. Something for everyone.

Now that I've beat this topic of yes or no on clowns into the ground. Lets look at the clowns from a different angle. Will they have their own clown car?
    1st - Paul The Detective; 2nd - Sarah The Princess; 3rd - David The miracle; 4th - Matthew The dreamer

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I saw a video of one of their performances a couple of days ago. They all talk, so that almost completely negates the creepy factor, IMO. When I was a kid, it was the clowns that didn't talk that always freaked me out.

The poignant John Wayne Gacy Tribute wasn't in the video I saw, but I'll keep looking.
    Fast forward the segment a bit, Scott. It comes during the Castle Projection show.
    Mo Noyz likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Hahahaha...

I wondered what they would replace the Ed Gein sequence with.

Can't wait to see it next week!

Obviously I'm not going change my opinion of clowns. It is interesting to go back and re-read the amount of adults that didn't like clowns as children on this thread and yet as adults really support clowns being placed in a kiddie area at Disney. An adult viewing a video of clowns doesn't really reflect the views of preschoolers and young children being close to clowns in person.

I'm not really comprehending the "John Wayne Gacy Tribute" dialog posted here. Tribute is confounding to me for a man who killed and raped at least 33 young boys, heart wrenching deaths to the family and friends of these young boys. I'm having a difficult time understanding a tribute concept especially since it is still ongoing currently in the Chicagoland. We as a nation are numb with another creepity man that has taken the life of so many other children.
    In either case I cannot imagine joking about or trying to find tribute to mass murderers, a line I can't imagine crossing. I didn't like clowns as a child, never had the opportunity to get over them as an adult given my brushings
    with Gacy the Clown as a kid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast