Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By supernova
  • 1 Post By nicholas
  • 2 Post By StewbotTalborg
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
  • 2 Post By Mo Noyz
WDW Theme Parks Discuss The rides have been sped up in the Vacation Planning forums; We noticed this distinctly yesterday at Magic Kingdom. Is this a new, permanent phenomenon? Or a temporary one to help get crowds through lines on busy days? We have been ...
    Deelup is offline A-Ticket holder

The rides have been sped up

We noticed this distinctly yesterday at Magic Kingdom. Is this a new, permanent phenomenon? Or a temporary one to help get crowds through lines on busy days?

We have been going to Disney regularly for the past ten years and have never noticed this before. But I'm wondering if we just have never visited on a day they had done it before.

It was nice to wait in a shorter line of course. But to have the ride over so fast was disappointing. It was most noticeable in Buzz Lightyear and the Haunted Mansion. We almost tripped getting into our seats at HM the conveyor was moving so quickly.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: The rides have been sped up

Not sure. I was at the park this past weekend too and nothing seemed any faster to me. As a matter of fact, the Haunted Mansion stopped twice during my ride on Sunday night. The Haunted Mansion's audio is on-board and triggered by location. If the ride was sped up, the audio would have to go faster, too. I mean I suppose it's possible, but I didn't sense anything different. Pirates was just as slow as ever, too.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

There are some attractions that Disney does alter the length. Spinner rides and carousels lend themselves to that nicely. Even TT from start to end of ride has 3 different speed levels to push guests through, though they are still working on that. Others like Soarin, they can only load and unload that puppy so fast, like TS the hourly load capacity is very low and difficult to alter.

As for the auto load rides I wonder. I guess there is the possibility that there could be different settings for the spiels and they could pump you through quicker once the ride launches in TS and Buzz if designed to do that.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Deelup is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Not sure. I was at the park this past weekend too and nothing seemed any faster to me. As a matter of fact, the Haunted Mansion stopped twice during my ride on Sunday night. The Haunted Mansion's audio is on-board and triggered by location. If the ride was sped up, the audio would have to go faster, too. I mean I suppose it's possible, but I didn't sense anything different. Pirates was just as slow as ever, too.

We haven't been here since February last year. So if it was different I'm not sure when it may have been changed.

HM slowed down a bit after the loading, but then sped up again a bit later.

When we arrived and saw the huge line for HM and the wait was only 25 minutes we were shocked. We had fast passes for BL, but were also surprised at how short a wait time there was for such a long line.

After both rides I mentioned it to my family and we wondered what was different. When we mentioned that we honestly almost tripped into the HM cart as the conveyor was so fast- and that on BL we barely had time to turn the car towards something to shoot as we were past it so quickly- it all sort of came together.

Quote Originally Posted by Deelup View Post
    We haven't been here since February last year. So if it was different I'm not sure when it may have been changed.

HM slowed down a bit after the loading, but then sped up again a bit later.

After both rides I mentioned it to my family and we wondered what was different. When we mentioned that we honestly almost tripped into the HM cart as the conveyor was so fast- and that on BL we barely had time to turn the car towards something to shoot as we were past it so quickly- it all sort of came together.
    The Haunted Mansion is on an omin-mover system, so part of the ride can't be any faster or slower than the rest of the ride. That just doesn't make sense. It works for the Peoplemover because the cars split up. Otherwise, that's like saying that Peter Pan flies faster on the track than it does in the load area.

The only rides I know they can usually adjust the time on are the typical carnival-style rides (Dumbo, Flying Carptets, etc) where they can fix the number of times the attraction rotates before the ride stops.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I understand they can vary the base speed of the omnimover to a certain degree. If it slowed down, it was likely to aid in loading or unloading someone who was having difficultly, then it returns to normal speed.

That normal speed can be adjusted somewhat, but there is a practical maximum.

The audio on HM has breaks in it, so it going faster wouldn't affect that too much.

Then they very publicly cut the length of Country Bear Jamboree...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

I just went there, but I don't really know. It didn't seem that way, but I don't remeber waiting for a really long time. So i'll pay more attention next time.

MandaEp is offline A-Ticket holder

The only rides I have really noticed (we haven't been since 2010) that run way too fast is Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and Snow White. And Peter Pan is one of my favorite rides, just wish it would slow down a little. It goes so fast you can hardly look at anything.
    Last edited by MandaEp; 02-12-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaEp View Post
    The only rides I have really noticed (we haven't been since 2010) that run way too fast is Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and Snow White. And Peter Pan is one of my favorite rides, just wish it would slow down a little. It goes so fast you can hardly look at anything.
    They have now slowed Snow White down as much as they possibly could.

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

Haha nice one!
    supernova likes this.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

*slow clap* Good form.
    supernova and nicholas like this.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Giggle!
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Hammer time!
    supernova and nicholas like this.

Amos1703 is offline A-Ticket holder

Was there in February and I do agree Haunted Mansion did seem to be running faster. It was a lot quicker to board, although this may just be because it seems everytime Im on that ride it seems to stop or slow for unloading so its possible this time it just was running as it always should and it seemed faster.
    AnneMarie
    My Disney Wedding 10/03/13