Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By supernova
WDW Theme Parks Discuss And the Zebras are gone in the Vacation Planning forums; The Zebras are gone from Kilimanjaro Safaris. Stating that t he Zebras were added in the fall, however they never acclimated and were still being "difficult."...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

And the Zebras are gone

The Zebras are gone from Kilimanjaro Safaris. Stating that the Zebras were added in the fall, however they never acclimated and were still being "difficult."
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: And the Zebras are gone

For a while, things were quieting down. I remember when the park first opened, it seemed like animals were getting sick and dying every other week. Adios, our stripped friends.
    Last edited by supernova; 03-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    For a while, things were quieting down. I remember when the park first opened, it seemed like animals were getting sick and dying every other week. Adios, our stripped friends.
    Yep, guest were questioning and speculating. They had only returned in November and *poof* gone in the dark of night. I've been seeing posts about them missing in the mist but Disney said zip.

Today I saw this from WDWNewsToday:

As big of a deal as Disney made about the new finale including Zebras on Kilimanjaro Safaris at Animal Kingdom, the Zebras were quietly removed from the attraction recently. Disney has sited “acclimation” issues for the animals, deciding that thew new home just wasn’t working out. Some insider reports claim that the zebras were troublesome and would constantly block the vehicle path or bite each-other and attack vehicles filled with guests. Whatever the reason, they were removed and will be replaced with Addax:

http://wdwnt.com/zebras-removed-permanently-after-4-months-from-kilimanjaro-safaris/

I've never bonded with Addax, Zebra's I have a soft spot for. Not sure Addax will be a great replacement for Zebras but we have plenty of zoo's around here.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I've never bonded with Addax, Zebra's I have a soft spot for. Not sure Addax will be a great replacement for Zebras but we have plenty of zoo's around here.
    I'm not sure I've ever paid enough attention to the ride to notice that the zebras would be gone. As long as they update the inside list of animals on the savannah, guests won't realize something is missing. Though as a long-time visitor to the parks, I was more annoy when they changed the storyline of Big Red being killed off by poachers. I don't remember if Wilson still belittles Miss Jobson or not over the Thompson Gazelles, but I heard they might have switched that, too? I hope we're not going too far with this PC nonsnse. It was enough when they feel the need to change the Pirates chase scenes around.

I did a search to see if I could find any mention of the change over from the original story line of Big Red and Little Red, but found a page called Disney Wiki. I don't know who runs this, but while I didn't notice a date when this page was updated, I didn't see a mention of zebras.

Kilimanjaro Safaris - Disney Wiki
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever paid enough attention to the ride to notice that the zebras would be gone. As long as they update the inside list of animals on the savannah, guests won't realize something is missing. Though as a long-time visitor to the parks, I was more annoy when they changed the storyline of Big Red being killed off by poachers. I don't remember if Wilson still belittles Miss Jobson or not over the Thompson Gazelles, but I heard they might have switched that, too? I hope we're not going too far with this PC nonsnse. It was enough when they feel the need to change the Pirates chase scenes around.

I did a search to see if I could find any mention of the change over from the original story line of Big Red and Little Red, but found a page called Disney Wiki. I don't know who runs this, but while I didn't notice a date when this page was updated, I didn't see a mention of zebras.

Kilimanjaro Safaris - Disney Wiki
    There isn't a storyline. Disney removed the entire Big Red story line altogether. Now it is simply a ride to view the critters with the guide talking and pointing out stuff.

Amos1703 is offline A-Ticket holder

We were there in late February and the Zebras were still there but they were acting quite strange. There were two that were biting at each other and one that was rolling around on the ground feet straight in the air. There was a Disney truck parked there observing the whole thing it was quite obvious they were having some problems with it. It does stink because it was a nice ending butI guess it just didnt work and wasnt good for the animals!
    AnneMarie
    My Disney Wedding 10/03/13

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

I'd be acting difficult too if you were forced to be babysat by a pride of lions. I hope the zebras are ok after such a traumatic experience as that.

Pygie!

I guess they were moved to AKL for a while but they were not behaving there either, picking on giraffes until the giraffes had enough and and started rearing and kicking them. They moved on to picking on smaller animals and non flight birds. Who knew a new storyline would cause this much trouble.

Now MousePlanet is reporting:

The zebras have returned to Kilimanjaro Safari. The herd was introduced last year as part of an overhaul of the attraction's storyline, but were quietly removed from the newly created "Zebra Glen" near the end of the ride a few months later. No word as to how Disney resolved whatever issues caused the zebras to be removed in the first place.

stanletmontena is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Amos1703 View Post
    We were there in late February and the Zebras were still there but they were acting quite strange. There were two that were biting at each other and one that was rolling around on the ground feet straight in the air. There was a Disney truck parked there observing the whole thing it was quite obvious they were having some problems with it. It does stink because it was a nice ending butI guess it just didnt work and wasnt good for the animals!
    Kind of reminds us of zombie films. Them biting each other and bam.. Everones a zombie.
    Dont set your compass by the flash of lightening-set in the stars.