Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Disneyland: Disabled man awarded $8000 after being stranded on ride in the Vacation Planning forums; ONE MORE REASON TO VISIT FLORIDA AND STAY OFF THE WEST COAST Story and video: Disabled man awarded $8000 after being stranded on Disneyland ride - U.S. News A wheelchair-bound ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Disneyland: Disabled man awarded $8000 after being stranded on ride

ONE MORE REASON TO VISIT FLORIDA AND STAY OFF THE WEST COAST
    Story and video:
    Disabled man awarded $8000 after being stranded on Disneyland ride - U.S. News

A wheelchair-bound man was awarded $8,000 by Disneyland after the "It's A Small World" ride broke, stranding him for a half hour while the theme song played continuously, according to an attorney for the plaintiff.Jose Martinez, who suffers from panic attacks and high blood pressure, did not medically stabilize for three hours after the ride broke down in 2009, attorney David Geffen said.

"He has panic disorder and that was really what started everything rolling," Geffen said. "What caused the court concern, as well, because Disney was alerted about his panic problem and didn't call for the fire department right away."

Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said the Anaheim theme park believes it provided appropriate assistance during the incident, and is disappointed that the court did not fully agree.
    Martinez uses a wheelchair, and Geffen said the plaintiff's high blood pressure was aggravated by a need to urinate while he was stuck on the ride.

While the other riders were able to get off, Martinez was stuck until he could access his wheelchair.
    Half the award ordered last week is for pain and suffering, and the rest is for a violation of disability law, Geffen said.

Brown told NBC4 the violation concerning the height of the counter in Disneyland’s first aid station has been corrected.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Disneyland: Disabled man awarded $8000 after being stranded on ride

Ugh...we got stuck on SW last trip. It was probably only 10-12 minutes, but the band played on. And on, and on, and...

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Wow, Mo, you missed an opportunity to get at least 8K.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Well, I was really hungry at the time. Probably needed to pee as well...

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

You should have wet yourself into a small fortune.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

I'm always the last to know about these things!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    ONE MORE REASON TO VISIT FLORIDA AND STAY OFF THE WEST COAST
    Story and video:
    Disabled man awarded $8000 after being stranded on Disneyland ride - U.S. News

A wheelchair-bound man was awarded $8,000 by Disneyland after the "It's A Small World" ride broke, stranding him for a half hour while the theme song played continuously, according to an attorney for the plaintiff.Jose Martinez, who suffers from panic attacks and high blood pressure, did not medically stabilize for three hours after the ride broke down in 2009, attorney David Geffen said.

"He has panic disorder and that was really what started everything rolling," Geffen said. "What caused the court concern, as well, because Disney was alerted about his panic problem and didn't call for the fire department right away."

Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said the Anaheim theme park believes it provided appropriate assistance during the incident, and is disappointed that the court did not fully agree.
    Martinez uses a wheelchair, and Geffen said the plaintiff's high blood pressure was aggravated by a need to urinate while he was stuck on the ride.

While the other riders were able to get off, Martinez was stuck until he could access his wheelchair.
    Half the award ordered last week is for pain and suffering, and the rest is for a violation of disability law, Geffen said.

Brown told NBC4 the violation concerning the height of the counter in Disneyland’s first aid station has been corrected.

When the largest local news station was telling this story during the news segment they played the Small World theme song during the entire segment.

Disneyland has gotten a lot of dings in recent times for ADA issues, from lack of relief areas for sight dogs to lack of braille l signage. Disney seems to simultaneously fix WDW as they get ding'd in Cali.
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.