Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
WDW Theme Parks Discuss The possible impact of The Lone Ranger in the Vacation Planning forums; Pretend for a moment that the Lone Ranger becomes a huge mega-hit. Put your imagineer hats on and give up some ideas that can be infused onto property....
    Oswald71 is offline A-Ticket holder

The possible impact of The Lone Ranger

Pretend for a moment that the Lone Ranger becomes a huge mega-hit. Put your imagineer hats on and give up some ideas that can be infused onto property.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: The possible impact of The Lone Ranger

Hmmm....Depp in Frontierland would likely be a crowd pleaser to a chunk of Disney guests.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

My skin crawls with the thought of having Depp in both Adventureland and Frontierland, but if The Lone Ranger is a hit Disney has to take advantage of it. There's not a lot of opportunity to do new things with the old "wild west" theme.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Heck, I wouldn't mind it reviving the rest of the Thunder Mesa concept, even though I realize that's a pipe dreams' pipe dream.

I agree that having Depp in Adventureland is enough. They did an excellent job with that integration. I hope they don't spoil that.

Might not matter, though. Seems like almost everyone is completely disinterested in the movie. I get the feeling this will do somewhat better than John carter because of the star power Depp brings to it. But at the end of the day I can see it being a flop by Summer blockbuster standards.

Are you going to see it, Stew?

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

It's always frightening when Disney, the power promoter that they are, can't build interest for a property through commercials and trailers. This one looks awful and way too complex. The Lone Ranger did well on old TV when effects were simple, and even on the radio, where effects were left to the imagination. In today's world of special effects, they will certainly ruin a story that didn't need to be retold in the first place. Very similar to what was done with Sherlock Holmes. These modern day retells set in the original setting rarely work for me.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    It's always frightening when Disney, the power promoter that they are, can't build interest for a property through commercials and trailers. This one looks awful and way too complex. The Lone Ranger did well on old TV when effects were simple, and even on the radio, where effects were left to the imagination. In today's world of special effects, they will certainly ruin a story that didn't need to be retold in the first place. Very similar to what was done with Sherlock Holmes. These modern day retells set in the original setting rarely work for me.
    The screening is tonight in DTD so we should hear a great deal tonight and tomorrow. I loved western anything when I was young so I am guardedly curious plus they put Depp into the film, a needed Disney option to the plethora of everything princess ad nauseum.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Are you going to see it, Stew?
    No, not because I wouldn't like to though. I just don't see movies in the theater since my son was born.

I managed to see Iron Man 3, but I don't think I'll make it back to the theater again this summer which is a bummer because there's a lot of things I would like to see.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

AGH!

Not even Monster U?!

Not even that.

IF I make it to another movie this summer it will be Star Trek, as that is the only movie my wife would be remotely interesting in seeing in theaters.

So go see it twice for me!

Don't think I won't!

At the Chicago Disney Store all the Lone Ranger merchandise was on clearance.

As it turns out, the only impact of the Lone Rangers is another black eye on Disney and some additional red ink on their books. Oops.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

It was my understanding that Disney's red ink is far less than it could be since Johnny believed in the project so dearly that he put up a chunk of money to make the project come off the shelved idea dungeon. Disney should have gone with their gut and left it shelved but they were afraid of ticking Johnny off.
    supernova likes this.

And his fan base couldn't even save this one. I guess kids don't care about westerns. I'm shocked that god-awful Alice in Wonderland reboot did as well as it did. Though that was primarily Depp's doing, I would imagine. Stupid goth and emo kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast