Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Oh how I miss... in the Vacation Planning forums; Well hello there from the UK! I am a former cast member who took post in the UK Pavilion at Epcot as a part of the Walt Disney World International ...
    Ghoulish Mortal is offline A-Ticket holder

Oh how I miss...

Well hello there from the UK!

I am a former cast member who took post in the UK Pavilion at Epcot as a part of the Walt Disney World International Program (WDWIP) many years ago now! That year spent in Orlando working for Mr Mouse was no doubt the best year ever… I could write an essay on all my experiences and fun times! But I won’t bore you with the details, also some stories may not be suitable for younger ears… (drinking round the world in Epcot!)

Needless to say, it pretty much ****s to have the Atlantic Ocean between myself and WDW. Not to mention the £1,000s that it would cost me to get there now! Although I am sure that I will return some day, I know that I will never get back something that I really enjoyed the most about spending a year out there. It’s something that Lou Mongello often talks about and specifically covers in the podcast ‘Top ten places to stop and smell the roses’ which is the ability to wander around the parks and resorts without that sense of being ‘on the clock’ with a limited amount of time to spend.

I went back to WDW on holiday in 2007 and although I obviously had an amazing time, I found that because I was with 2 people who had never been before I was forever rushing around to get on the next attraction and not really taking it in. I am a huge fan of the imagineer and all pioneering and unique work they have done at WDW, my greatest pleasure whilst working in WDW was walking round the parks and resorts without actually going on any attractions or seeing any shows because I had so much time there to spend.

Just taking in all the amazing scenery and history of the parks and resorts. I am sad that I will most likely never get to do this again… My next visit will probably be with kids (aaaaaaaahhh!) When I look back to my year working out there my greatest memories are not careering round a bend on thunder mountain or getting soaked on Kali River Rapids. No, my greatest memories are around a campfire at dusk in Fort Wilderness, taking a walk around the Animal Kingdom Lodge with night vision goggles after filling my tummy at Boma, taking a slow stroll from Epcot along the boardwalk to the Studios. No maps… No rushing…

So, locals and season pass holders… please don’t take this privilege for granted! Take in the parks and resorts for all that they are worth thanks to the wonderful imagineers whilst the rest of us just have to hotfoot it round the parks looking for the next line to stand in!

I am still convinced I am going to win the lottery so I can take my wife out there (before we have kids) and prove to her once and for all that WDW is not ‘just for kids’ as she puts it. We love our food and restaurants so I know that she would absolutely love that aspect of WDW right off the bat!

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Oh how I miss...

Excellent post. I agree with you 100%!

Welcome to the board.

malt is offline Fastpass Holder

I agree also, it not just about the rides. There is so much to take in, the more times I go, the more I notice.

Jeff B is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for sharing your story. WDW is truly a magical place; I hope you get back soon to enjoy all that it offers.
    Remember the Magic
    DVC Member at The Beach Club

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulish Mortal View Post
    I went back to WDW on holiday in 2007 and although I obviously had an amazing time, I found that because I was with 2 people who had never been before I was forever rushing around to get on the next attraction and not really taking it in. I am a huge fan of the imagineer and all pioneering and unique work they have done at WDW, my greatest pleasure whilst working in WDW was walking round the parks and resorts without actually going on any attractions or seeing any shows because I had so much time there to spend.
    I'm the exact opposite, although I visit the parks at least once each year. To me, I find it more enjoyable to visit WDW with first-timers. In the 30+ years I have been landing in MCO, I have become jaded. It's nice to see the parks and property through the eyes of those who have never been there before.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Welcome to the boards, Ghoulish!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

froland_04-08 is offline Annual Passholder

Welcome to the boards!! You share the same enthusiasm and love for the parks and the brand that alot of us on here do. I look forward to reading more posts from you!!
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Also, I too am a former CM whose life was forever changed for the better by WDW
    Howdy Partners! For your safety, please remain seated with your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the train, and be sure to watch your kids! If any of you folks are wearing hats and glasses, best remove them, cause this here's the wildest ride in the weeeelderness!!!!!!

Looks like B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear are causin some kinda commotion downstream......

Jason24210 is offline A-Ticket holder

I agree! Great post. I also miss the balloons traveling up and down in The Land and the Swan Boats from the Magic Kingdom

I miss the original Journey to Imagination...... Was the original there when you worked there??

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Welcome aboard Goulish!
    I sure miss Horizons, the original Journey Into Imagination, and The Adventurers Club. Spent many an hour at that place!

I miss the wand on Spaceship Earth

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy

surely you can't be serious
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

No. not really. Just lookin to see who is watching lol.

I do miss the original soda place. The one with the ice tunnel.....what was it called?

Ice Station Cool......I miss that whole concept

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast