Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ohiodisneydad
  • 1 Post By Veritas
  • 1 Post By BandontheRun
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Disney teases with tidbits of Avatar in the Vacation Planning forums; Two years after the original announcement of Avatar coming to Animal Kingdom, now anticipated in 2017, Disney releases very sketchy concepts about Avatar-land. First Look: AVATAR to Come to Life ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney teases with tidbits of Avatar

Two years after the original announcement of Avatar coming to Animal Kingdom, now anticipated in 2017, Disney releases very sketchy concepts about Avatar-land.
    First Look: AVATAR to Come to Life at Disney

First Look: AVATAR to Come to Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
    Posted: 11 Oct 2013 09:03 PM PDT
    From the moment AVATAR was released, people were captivated by the mythical world of Pandora. When we announced that we’d be working with James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment to bring this world to life in our parks, we felt certain that this partnership and combination of talent and imagination would produce an experience unlike any other ever created.

Our combined team has taken huge steps forward in “imagineering” Pandora as a real place for our guests to see, hear and touch. At the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan, we shared an early glimpse of the plans for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and I wanted to share some of these breathtaking images and a short preview of what’s to come with all of you.

As these concept renderings show in epic scale, in the world of AVATAR guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains and wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound. Guests will also discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee.

And the new AVATAR-inspired land won’t be the only change coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

As part of the largest expansion in the history of the park, we’ll be adding all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery all combine to bring a show to Discovery River that will delight our guests and truly cap off their day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park will introduce more nighttime entertainment as well, including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured above) and a new nighttime version of theKilimanjaro Safaris.

As the world of AVATAR becomes real at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the energy and passion shared by our Imagineers and the Lightstorm team for this monumental task continues to be remarkable. I can’t wait to see the reactions of our guests as they step into a world that until now has only existed on the screen.
    We look forward to sharing more details in the future here on the Disney Parks Blog.

See more updates on the AVATAR-themed expansion coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom in the posts below:

First Look: AVATAR to Come to Life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom by Tom Staggs: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Re: Disney teases with tidbits of Avatar

Yawn....

All that spectacle and they still close at 7 PM?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Well color me curious about the boat ride. I had the fortune or misfortune to ride the boat from heck in the opening month before Disney mothballed it.

If you take a look at that water it looks just like River Country. Green glop all over the water. It does seem the rumors were correct that eventually Disney would keep the park open later, good news for RainForest and Yak & Yeti but they have been waiting since 2 years already and have until 2017 to go???

Wowza!

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Csmith041177 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I for one am excited about this. Anything that brings more rides, experiences and theming I am for.

The first contractor pulled the first permit for Avatar for an Early Development package. The permit doesn't expire until 10/31/2016 for that phase.

JEANYLASER is offline B-Ticket Holder

I love the concept art of Avatar and The new nighttime entertainment will be awesome for the Animal Kingdom! Awesome work!
    JEANY SANCHEZ

Csmith041177 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I love the concept art, and I have faith that Disney will do this in a very magical way.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

I don't think it's a question of the new land looking magical. It's a question of does Avatarland belong in AK. Why didn't Disney add an Australia area or maybe use it's own nature based franchises like Tarzan or Pocohantas, opting instead to bring in someone elses intellectual property
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

I'm skeptical I admit it. Even witht eh new releases coming up with Avatar have the kind fo stayting power to jsutify a land? Why not just expand the fantastic creatures concept to incldue soem avatar, Star wars creatueres and the like?
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

BandontheRun is offline A-Ticket holder
    I saw Avatar after it's they're release so maybe I just feel it didn't live up to the hype.
    I think Avatar land was a premature reaction to Harry Potter.
    I am still optimistic that Disney knows what they are doing and will make it a great experience.
    HauntedGabe likes this.