Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
WDW Theme Parks Discuss My attempt at converting a non-believer in the Vacation Planning forums; I think a lot of it has to do with if you went as a small child or not. Most people I know that went when they were little kids ...
    the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I think a lot of it has to do with if you went as a small child or not. Most people I know that went when they were little kids still love Disney World, but most of the people I know who didn't get to go until they are past the "Age of Accountability" usually don't view it nearly as magically.
    also, I think it's harder to convert older guys than girls. guys have the whole ego/macho image they have to protect (your friend doesn't seem like that type, however). I have seriously had guys tell me, in front of others, "You like Disney World?! Man, that stuff's [lame]!" then, in one on one confidence, they'll admit to harboring a secret and longterm love affair with the Mouse.

I may have mentioned it before (like a thousand times), but when me and my fiance go on our honeymoon next year it'll be her first time, and she's in her mid-twenties. but I'm not worried that she won't like it, she was one of those kids who always wanted to go, but her parents never had the money to take her. so it'll sorta be like fulfilling a lifelong dream for her. should be fun to see...

anywho, good luck with your pal
    Last edited by the7thAve; 10-01-2005 at 02:35 AM.

If we can dream it, we can do it

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve
    I think it's harded to convert older guys than girls. guys have the whole ego/macho image they have to protect (your friend doesn't seem like that type, however).
    Actually, he does exhibit this mind set in a way. It's shown in the way he thinks a day at the theme park should be thrill rides and high-tech wizardry all day non-stop. Fairytales? Storybook characters? Landscaping? Background music? Fun for little ones? All just unimportant extras in his mind. Whereas to me (and probably most of everyone on this board) these "extras" are what make a park heads above its competitors, and makes Disney as a whole (but especially the MK) the most magical place on Earth for me.

Maybe when he settles down and has a family he'll begin to realize that the 'ride-til-you-puke' day at the theme park just doesn't work anymore when the family wont ride with you and wants to know why they can't go to Disney World.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve
    I may have mentioned it before (like a thousand times), but when me and my fiance go on our honeymoon next year it'll be her first time, and she's in her mid-twenties. but I'm not worried that she won't like it, she was one of those kids who always wanted to go, but her parents never had the money to take her. so it'll sorta be like fulfilling a lifelong dream for her. should be fun to see...
    I think that is awesome! I know that as a kid we really couldn't afford to go, but since we lived in florida for a spell, we didn't have to travel far. When we were able to go, we went and camped out somewhere (not on property) and went to Epcot and the Magic Kingdom. I was an older "kid" like 11 or something, but at least I got to go. And I appreciate that now.
    I am so glad she is finally getting to go and you will have to get her to write a trip report in her eyes....as a first time visitor!!!

Lara
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    My Inlaws are like him. They "did" Epcot AND Mk in one day so they just don't get it. They rode one ride in each land and walked around World showcase. My husband had gone with them and got a taste of it and wanted to go back. Luckily for me went got married the next year. I had always wanted to go (no money situation) and he was okay with going again. He says he "lets" me go to WDW but I know he really loves it just as much as I do. He loved taking the older kids and is ready to save so we can take all of them next time. Families sure change the idea of what is fun and not fun. maybe that will help your friend someday.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs
    My Inlaws are like him. They "did" Epcot AND Mk in one day so they just don't get it. They rode one ride in each land and walked around World showcase.
    I can "do" AK in one day, and can see everything I care to see in MGM in one day. Actually, I can do all of AK and most of what I want to see in MGM in one day if i feel like park hopping. But EPCOT and MK are a whole different story. Futureworld and World Showcase each take almost a full day on their own to explore thoroughly. And although I can ride all my favorite rides at MK in less than a day, it will take me at least two full days to feel like I got to see even most of the park.

I'm a MK obsessee. I'm seriously addicted to that park, even moreso than I am the rest of WDW. A few weeks ago, I spent a good long day in MK. Between 9:15am when I arrived and 7pm, all I did was spend time on Main Street, take a quick stroll through fantasyland to go analyze Pooh's Playful Spot, and take a few trips around Buzz in Tomorrowland. Other than that, the entire day was spent on Main Street, finding new stuff I'd never taken the time to check out before... Like the sound of the dancers outside the dance studio... the names on the second story windows, the pawprints outside Tony's, the ride car from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in the back of Exposition Hall. You know, before that trip, I didn't even know there was a theater in the back of that building! I even spent a good deal of time chatting with Cast Members. I spent almost my entire day on Main Street. It wasn't until 7 that I realized I only had 2 more hours until closing, so then I jumped into overdrive, and in the next 2 hours covered Haunted Mansion, PhilharMagic, Many Adventures of Pooh, Space Mtn, TTA, Splash Mtn, and still made it back to Cindy Castle in time for Wishes. If time wasn't an issue, I could easily spend two or three days straight at MK without it getting repetitive. There is just so much to see and do.

I don't understand how someone can say they "saw" a park, or "did" a park they only spend a few hours in. It's so frustrating!!!
    -Don-

kebdal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I enjoyed reading your story. I can relate - - my boyfriend is so couldn't-care-less-about-Disney I could scream!

I am -literally- dragging him on our family vacation coming up next May. Every 3 months I send him a reminder....remember only xx months until we go...trying to get him psyched up. At least my sons love it as much as I do!
    Katie (33) and Elvis (41)
    DS Casey Michael (14)
    DS Tyler Anthony (12)
    DS Adisa Andwele (7)
    DS Jelani Aitan (5)
    DD Due August 25th!

DL: 1982, 1992, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, May 2008, Nov 2009
    WDW: 1999, May 2007, ~Oct 2010~

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    I can relate - - my boyfriend is so couldn't-care-less-about-Disney I could scream!
    my ex-bf just plain didn't like disney. but the things he would describe about why he hated disney... i kept trying to explain to him, "You don't really hate Disney.... you hate Michael Eisner."
    But nothing worked... maybe that's why he's my ex? (raises eyebrow) naw...
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

Quote Originally Posted by rosworms
    ... maybe that's why he's my ex? (raises eyebrow) naw...
    I've noticed that us "Disney-folk" tend to attract other Disney-folk and bond together pretty tight. My current (...maybe that's why she's not my ex?) is working at the Disney Store at the moment, and is awaiting a response on her CP application. I've got my fingers crossed for her. How cool it would be to be dating a CM!
    -Don-

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    main just wait the time will come
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

KatieLuvsMickey is offline B-Ticket Holder
    well at least now he has at least experienced it, it was really nice of you to try to "convert" him. Some just may never understand.

Katie
    i luv Tink!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12