Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Info About Coasters? in the Vacation Planning forums; So, I have a little anxiety problem when going on roller coasters. The anxiety comes from the big drops. I'm not really scared of heights and I used to LOVE ...
    xbeccahx is offline B-Ticket Holder

Info About Coasters?

So, I have a little anxiety problem when going on roller coasters. The anxiety comes from the big drops. I'm not really scared of heights and I used to LOVE all kinds of roller coasters, but now I get anxiety attacks going on rides with big drops. I've been on Splash Mtn. before when I was a little braver, so I know about that one having a big drop, but do any of the other coasters have big drops like that or is that the only one? I watched the preview ride through of Exp. Everest, but couldn't really see how big the drop was since it was mostly in the dark.
    I wish I wasn't so scared because it really ruins the ride. All I can think about is going into cardiac arrest on a roller coaster and flopping around all lifeless and dying on the ride. (LOL) I know it's kind of a slim chance since I'm a fairly healthy 24 year old, but my imagination insists on picturing the worst case scenario.
    I'm also scared of Haunted Mansion. Okay, that's embarassing to admit, but still true. I absolutely HATE being snuck up and that's really the only thing I'm afraid of and I really really do want to ride this.
    Okay, so after you're done laughing at my sissiness, tell me what you think! Thanks!
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic. - Sam the Eagle

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Anxiety attacks are nothing to laugh at, so you won't hear any from me.

Everest has a big drop that swoops out of the mountain and down. I haven't been on it yet myself, but hopefully someone who has can better describe the height/speed.

Rockin' Rollercoaster has a couple of inversions, all are in the dark so you really can't see much of the track.

Haunted Mansion doesn't really have much that 'sneaks up' on you - a few figures pop up in the attic and graveyard scenes, but not a lot of jump-out-and-go-boo type stuff, and nothing that comes at you from behind, at least not once you're on the doombuggies.

Only suggestions I can make is to get a physical exam before you go, so you have a doctor's word that there is virtually no chance of you going into cardiac arrest, and start yourself out on the smaller coasters and work up to the larger ones - The Barnstormer, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, and so on up. Birnbaums' Guide for Kids rates the rides by thrill and scare factors, and I believe there is a section on AllEarsNet.com as well.

Good luck!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

xbeccahx is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thank you so much! That puts a lot of my fears to rest. I wish I didn't worry so much though! I'm going to *try* to get on Rockin' Rollercoaster, since the biggest part of my anxiety comes from the longgggg and slow uphill trek. Hopefully I won't know it's coming. Maybe I'll just have to bring some xanax!
    Anyways, thankyou so much for the info! Hope to see your countdown soon!
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic. - Sam the Eagle

just so ya know there is NO chain lift on rockn rollar coaster but there is a super fast take off and watching that a couple of times will get you pretty nervous but close your eyes the hole way and you will love it!

safatlga is offline A-Ticket holder
    I used to be able to enjoy these coasters but I find as I get older I do suffer a little anxiety as well. I do keep my eyes closed on Rock and Roller Coaster when it first starts..
    As for Everest the part I think I will not like is the "going backwards in the dark part"..but I will face that the next time I go to Animal Kingdom which will not be for a while unfortunately.