Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Why is Aladdin's Magic Carpets not in Fantasyland? in the Vacation Planning forums; I was a bit baffled why it is where is it. It doesn't fit in with the other attractions of Adventureland. Does anyone else agree with me?...
    LoveBugsMommie is offline A-Ticket holder

Why is Aladdin's Magic Carpets not in Fantasyland?

I was a bit baffled why it is where is it. It doesn't fit in with the other attractions of Adventureland. Does anyone else agree with me?

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Well, theme wise I can kind of make sense of it in Adventureland, but the ride itself I'm not particularly impressed with, regardless of where they put it. I mean, how many carnival style fly-a-circle-around-the-post attractions do they need in one park? You've already got Dumbo and the Astro Orbiter. But I suppose that reason in itself is why they couldn't put it in Fantasyland. It's almost exactly the same as Dumbo, except that you fit four to a carpet rather than two to an elephant.... and nothing spits at you on Dumbo.

I wouldn't mind seeing a different Aladdin themed attraction in Adventureland, but that is a very crowded section of the park and I don't really see where they would fit anything other than something small like that which could fit in that little hub there. That is unless you were going to do away with the Swiss family treehouse (which is something I do hear at least one guest suggesting to their party on about every trip I make), but I'm not partial to that idea myself, because even with as antiquated and simple as this "boring" old tree is, I think it's a fantastic sight to see, and makes a great place to see the lights of the park from in the evening. But somehow I find myself once again well off the intended topic.

Long story short... I think the Aladdin theme fits in nicely with A-Land. However, I'm tired of the fly-around-the-post types of rides. There's the three of them in MK, and then you've got that Triceratop Spin thingie over in DAK. All the same ride, just different vehicles. Too much of the same thing, I think. Do you think there's any chance we will see them putting in four different versions of Soarin' anytime soon? Not likely. Why this is different, I have no idea.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    In the movie the magic carpets go into the clouds
    i guess the adventure of flying around the clouds
    or something
    and i don't make sense to my self anymore
    so
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i don't like this ride at all, i think the actual movie had such potential for a great ride...the carpets take up space and i find that the area can get quite congested...that's just my 2 cents.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    it would have been neat to have a similar ride for the magic carpets
    like peter pans flight
    that you site in the magic carpets and go through the movie like scenes
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

safatlga is offline A-Ticket holder
    Or how about a ride like Soaring? You are riding on a magic carpet through animated scenery..like that one scene in the movie...you would feel like you were in a Disney animated movie!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    My guess is that the reasons for 3 spinning-around-a-post rides in MK include 1) capacity issues and 2) the style of family-friendly 'mild thrill' ride is so popular. Dumbo can hold max 32 people at a time with a ride duration that if it was any shorter people would really complain; Astro Orbitor seems to always have a 30 min. wait even on a slow night because of the same capacity problem. Magic Carpets has a capacity equal to both of the older rides together, and has the added 'thrills' of the tilting carpet and the spitting camel.

safatlga, Disney actually has a 'ride' experience sort of like you are describing in DisneyQuest - you can get on a 'magic carpet' platform and 'fly' through computer graphics scenes via a virtual reality helmet.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Cameo is offline And the voila... you've got a Figment!
    Riding my tricycle around the parking lot
    Quote Originally Posted by safatlga
    Or how about a ride like Soaring? You are riding on a magic carpet through animated scenery..like that one scene in the movie...you would feel like you were in a Disney animated movie!
    Being a Disney park veteran, I had this thought from the first time I saw the movie. Of course at the time Soarin' didn't exist to compare it to so I was thinking more like a BodyWars/Star Tours sort of thing. I know there's a similar thing in DisneyQuest but the individual virtual reality with the helmet made me feel very ill. I do much better with a large room atmosphere for those kinds of things.
    ~Sarah~

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

"Tom Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewhit89
    it would have been neat to have a similar ride for the magic carpets
    like peter pans flight
    that you site in the magic carpets and go through the movie like scenes
    I like the carpet ride as it is, but that's not a bad idea.

Tinkerbell2293 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Probably around somewhere... most likely quoting Pirates.... or maybe not...
    My opinion is that it's too similar to Dumbo and people would get a bit bored of it, if it was in Fantasyland. Also, in my opinion, the color scheme doesn't really fit in with the soft tones of Fantasyland.
    "I guess I should explain/ I've got this problem with my brain/ Things get really scrambled in my head/ I have no short-term memory/ I forget things almost instantly/ I don't even know what I just said.../ Can I help you?" -Dory, Finding Nemo: The Musical!

Wishing I was at Disney World!

Me = Pirates Fan!! Yoho yoho a pirate's life for me! AAAARRRRRGGGG!

MAGIC KINGDOM
    Adventureland- Frontierland-Fantasyland- Liberty Square- Mickey's Toontown Fair- Tomorrowland- Main St, USA-

"Stupid fish!" "Technically, it's a cephalopod."

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Maybe they have a triangle fetish and needed to make one with all the "Dumbo-style" rides?
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I thought it fit in Adventureland. I mean, it's a BIG ADVENTURE MOVIE!