Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss What is the real Haunted Mansion story? in the Vacation Planning forums; What is the real story behind the Haunted Mansion attraction? I was just wondering, because I keep hearing different stories. And is it true they're creating a new storyline for ...
    Soccergirl426 is offline Annual Passholder

What is the real Haunted Mansion story?

What is the real story behind the Haunted Mansion attraction? I was just wondering, because I keep hearing different stories. And is it true they're creating a new storyline for the ride?

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    There's a great book by Jason Surrell on the Haunted Mansion: from the Magic Kingdom to the Movies (he also wrote one on Pirates of the Caribbean). Also, a great HM website is Doombuggies.com - it's loaded with information on the HM's all around the world.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Ok, I asked a CM about this once and this is what he told me.... ahem

Long, long ago, this mansion was inhabited by Master Gracey and his many servants. At the time, the monstrous mansion was used as a hotel to it's so far 999 happy guests. Now, the master had a love in his life. He held the ring in his hand as he went upstairs to the attic where his fiance was. He caught her with another man up there. He killed both of them and threw his ring out the window! He later hung himself in his misery. Unfortunately, if he had waited, he would have realized that the man was a hat salesman and she was trying on hats for the big day.

That is the main story basically. This is the hatbox ghost, a HUGE concept in the Haunted Mansion and is VERY difficult to see...

Now, if you remember the ring that was thrown out of the window, KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED. When you exit the ride, you walk under a green awning. Right at the end of the awning, you can see a wedding ring embedded in the cement! It's pretty neat, I've seen it before.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

brianjoe is offline B-Ticket Holder
    thanks for that .we will have to look for him and it ,,,,,,
    no matter where u you go there you are going to the world in june 2012

It's a nice little treat if you find it. If you have trouble, just ask a CM and they'll be happy to help

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder

Ahem!!- not to ruin anything

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    One of the questions I get asked about most often is the "ring" outside the Haunted Mansion. Here

So, here is a picture of the "ring" outside the exit of the Haunted Mansion.

And a close-up:

Unfortunately, although it makes for good story, it is the remnant of a hole used for a post.

As for how to find it, here are some basic instructions:

When you exit the HM, continue straight as you walk under the coverred walkway. As the covered area ends, start looking down - you will see how the stones in the ground change a bit (From almost like a flagstone to a cobblestone). The "ring" is in the second to the last row of flagstones. The pictures should help a bit.

Good luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife
    The origins of this "story" vary, and the source is unknown... However, it is said that when his fiance met her demise, that the master of the manor was so distraught that he threw her engagement ring out of a window. The ring supposedly hit the ground with such force that the embedded itself into the stone to serve as a reminder of their love.

...In actuality the "ring" is a remnant of an old queue pole that broke at ground level, and the "diamond" is the tip of a broken s crewdriver that was being used to pry the pole out. The maintenance crew had to leave the pole and s crewdriver tip in the ground until they could get some better tools to extract the pieces. Some time passed, and Disney decided to leave the "ring" in the ground after hearing of its romantic history from the guests.
    and there you go!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

thx everyone!

ok, now based on what I heard, here's what I think-
    Long, long ago there was a mansion owned by Master Gracey and his many servants. The mansion served as a hotel, holding 999 happy guests. Now, Master Gracey also had a love in his life, and he held the ring in his hand and went upstairs were his fiancee was, only to find her with another man. He killed both of them and threw the ring out the window. He later hung himself in his misery. If he had waited, he would have learned that the man was a hat salesman and she was trying on hats for the big day.
    Now, the famous Madame Leota, on the other hand, was staying at the mansion for a while now and was very in love with Master Gracey. After hearing about his death, she killed herself by jumping in to local river and drowning so they could be together. When someone later found her, her head was shrivled up to the size of a doll's. Then dead, she found out that Master Gracey only loved his fiancee and no one else, so in her anger, set a curse on the mansion and all of its guests. Now, everyone is dead and stays around the mansion in anger in a ghost-like form, trying to scare and harm anyone who sets foot inside the mansion...
    That's all I got (and thanks to DisneyFREAK91 for some of the story!)

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I have a LONG story about the HM that I tried to sqeeeeeeze into Volume II, but only a portion of it made it in. I'll have to save it for Volume III (?) or an article.

And ditto on Jason Surrell's HM book. Exceptional is an understatement.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    The Jason Surrell book is a must read both for Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.
    15 Trips in 20 Years!!

Port Orleans Contemporary Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Wilderness Lodge
    Boardwalk Yacht and Beach Polynesian
    All Star Movies

Can't Get Enough:

Lol, I guess no one will ever know the TRUE story of Master Gracey and his manor

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ................

*Walks away*

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    if you go to wikipedia.org and look up the haunted mansion it has a piece on the legend behind it. Some parts are a bit different than the stories posted here
    15 Trips in 20 Years!!

Port Orleans Contemporary Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Wilderness Lodge
    Boardwalk Yacht and Beach Polynesian
    All Star Movies

Can't Get Enough:

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Just like real haunted houses, the story of this mansion is FOREVER A MYSTERY! *errie music plays*

JEV4 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    The story of HM is not known but, as he said go to Wikipediea they have a story that is probley the closest youl'l get.
    I just love World of Warcraft.

gertle is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Awesome, I'll have to check that out the next time I go to WDW
    Trivia Team Rules - back in the fresh