Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Extra Magic Hours? How does this work? in the Vacation Planning forums; We are actually staying on property this time and I was wondering about the extra magic hours. I know that certain theme parts are open later on certain nights and ...
    Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!

Extra Magic Hours? How does this work?

We are actually staying on property this time and I was wondering about the extra magic hours. I know that certain theme parts are open later on certain nights and open up early on certain mornings, but is it always 3 extra hours in the evening? How are the lines during these extra magic hours?

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Check this link out to answer all your questions:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...MagicHoursPage

EMH crowding seem to match the season. However, during evening EMH you generally will not find as many small children in the parks due to the lateness of the hours.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Stitch View Post
    We are actually staying on property this time and I was wondering about the extra magic hours. I know that certain theme parts are open later on certain nights and open up early on certain mornings, but is it always 3 extra hours in the evening? How are the lines during these extra magic hours?
    My sister and i were there in late august and participated in the EMHs on a sunday. Yu have to have a park pass to get into the park and your key card from yur on-property hotel. You have to be in the park before 7pm to get a bracelet that shows yu will be staying for the EMH's. After the fireworks (at the mk is my example), you are free to go to the rides that are open. we walked right on splash mountain but had a long wait for big thunder mountain. most of the rides though werent that bad. please note that most of the shops and restaurants arent open, which was a surprise to us. the ones on main street, however, are open.
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

Thanks guys!!! One question that I have asked several times that people seem to not be able to give me a straight answer on is approximate line waiting times. I have never been during late Sept. early Oct. I have always gone during June-August months due to schooling. What should I expect. 1 hour wait for Soarin? 20 mins for Spaceship Earth? Are the crowds pretty much cut in half during this time? We are so excited about going during this time because we have heard nothing but good things. Most of the time during the summer we had trouble doing Epcot in a day and a half. Will we be able to do Epcot in one day, especially with the extra magic hours? Sorry for all of the questions, but we are EXCITED!!!!!

Thanks guys!!! One question that I have asked several times that people seem to not be able to give me a straight answer on is approximate line waiting times. I have never been during late Sept. early Oct. I have always gone during June-August months due to schooling. What should I expect. 1 hour wait for Soarin? 20 mins for Spaceship Earth? Are the crowds pretty much cut in half during this time? We are so excited about going during this time because we have heard nothing but good things. Most of the time during the summer we had trouble doing Epcot in a day and a half. Will we be able to do Epcot in one day, especially with the extra magic hours? Sorry for all of the questions, but we are EXCITED!!!!!
    Crowds should be light during EMH in late Sept and early October for all parks except the MK. I would imagine no more than a few minutes wait at the outside during EMH. As I stated, most folks with small children will not be at the parks until Midnight and beyond.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Attendance at the parks during the day can vary greatly, from not at all crowded and no waits, to the usual waits of 30-60 minuites without FastPass. Late Sept and early Oct seem to have a large number of guests from outside the USA. When we last visited during the Sept-Oct period a great many guests were from FL due to the schools being closed due to the hurricanes. Again, the MK is always the most crowded with thousands of guests. Also, since it is the value season many of the parades and fireworks are only offered a few days a week.

*Off Property

Thank you for all of the info!!! This helps.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    If you are there before Sept. 30th, you might try to take advantage of the Little Ones Magic Hour at the Magic Kingdom. It's like EMH, but only Fantasyland is open. It is available on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays through 9/29/06.
    You don't have to have a little kid to enter, just your resort ID.

We did this and were able to walk right onto Peter Pan's Flight, Small World, Pooh, and just about everything else (though there was still a small wait for Dumbo - there's always a wait for Dumbo!). The characters were out and actually playing games with the children!!! Peter Pan and Wendy were playing tag, Mickey & friends were bouncing a ball around a whole circle of kids, Alice and the Mad Hatter were around too. It was so much fun to watch! Much nicer than the meet & greet lines.

For the evening EMH, getting those wristbands is important. Epcot however is the worst I've seen at distribution. Not enough places to get them, lines are long and slow moving, and out in the sun. Evening EMH at Animal Kingdom is worth attending - crowds are still light, and it is the only time you get to see the beautiful lighting they have in this park.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

HMMMMMM, you are just full of info! So the EMH are definately worth doing?

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenny_Mouse View Post
    My sister and i were there in late august and participated in the EMHs on a sunday. Yu have to have a park pass to get into the park and your key card from yur on-property hotel. You have to be in the park before 7pm to get a bracelet that shows yu will be staying for the EMH's. After the fireworks (at the mk is my example), you are free to go to the rides that are open. we walked right on splash mountain but had a long wait for big thunder mountain. most of the rides though werent that bad. please note that most of the shops and restaurants arent open, which was a surprise to us. the ones on main street, however, are open.
    Let me try to clear up a coupla things in this post.

EMH is ALWAYS one hour for mornings, three hours for evenings.

For morning EMH, all you need is your resort room key/park pass. Once you're in, you're in, nothing more you need to do.

For evening EMH, you can enter the park AT ANY TIME. You can even enter the park after the regular public closing time. In order to go into rides/attractions AND to shop/eat, you'll need to be wearing an EMH bracelet. The bracelets begin to be distributed 2 hours before the public closing time. Tthe above poster said 7 p.m. -- there's nothing magical about 7 p.m., it just must have been the time she noticed, but it's NOT a universal time. For example, if MK is scheduled to close to the public at Midnight, EMH bracelet distribution won't begin 'til 10 p.m. Also, if MK closes to the public at Midnight, you could ARRIVE at MK at 1:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. and still get into the park, as long as you have your room key.

The bracelets are distributed at numerous locations throughout the park. You can't just go and get a handful. Each person in your party must be there with their own park pass, and the CM will place the bracelet onto each person's wrist.
    -- Eric

wdwfan1 is offline Fastpass Holder-GO COWBOYS!!!
    Extra Magic Hours are a must do.
    #1 FAN

Yea!!! I can't wait to stay up late riding my favorite rides!

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    The parks with EMH tend to be crowded during the day since most people will hit up those parks. My advice, don't spend the day at the park and only show up for the EMH. If the EMH are at MK, then spend the day at Epcot and go back to MK that night. Trust me when I say that the parks will EMH will be crowded so the best way to do it is just going for the EMH. September/October shouldn't be too bad in general, but doing it this way will help you get even more rides in. Trust me.

Makes sense. 17 days until I ride with my wife!!!
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!