Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss CD-On-Demand: Is it still in operation at WDW? in the Vacation Planning forums; Tonight I called WDW Merchandise, and asked if Main Street Cinema Store / VMK Store and Once Upon a Toy (Downtown Disney) still had their CD-burning kiosks. The phone operator ...
    MousekeTodd is offline B-Ticket Holder

CD-On-Demand: Is it still in operation at WDW?

Tonight I called WDW Merchandise, and asked if Main Street Cinema Store / VMK Store and Once Upon a Toy (Downtown Disney) still had their CD-burning kiosks.

The phone operator phoned Once Upon a Toy, and was told they no longer sell this service. Main Street's phone was busy, so I was invited to call again tomorrow.

Has anyone been to Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, and know whether or not Main Street is still selling the CD-burning products?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Yes, the CD on demand systems are in the VMK Central at the MK and in the Once Upon a Toy shop in Downtown Disney.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    They were there in December, I used the one in VMK central then, but I haven't checked since then.

I did read, however, that the DisneyLAND ones were being discontinued and would shut down when they ran out of the materials to make the discs, which they were already almost out of. Don't know if WDW's were also affected. Please let us know if you do find out tomorrow.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Sorry, Lou, I know of the kiosk locations but the merchandise phone operator called Once Upon a Toy while I was on the line: they don't have the kiosk available for guests anymore. And, the operator wasn't able to connect with VMK Central to verify availability there.

So, my question here is whether anyone has been to the Magic Kingdom recently enough to know if VMK's kiosk is still operational.

My family and I are going to the Kingdom Oct. 17, and I'm drawing up a CD list.... I hope the music is still available.

It has been rumored that all of this (and at Disneyland, too) was going away and moving to iTunes (I like iTunes, but you don't get liner notes and Randy Thornton commentary with Apple music purchases.). I called the Marketing Dept. at Burbank -- in August, I think -- and was told the kiosks were NOT leaving. Now I wonder if it all is changing.

I'll certainly keep you posted. I'm also going to call Disneyland.

I bought three when we came for Spring Break 2006.

Later, I ordered a CD from Disneyland Merchandise.

Then, my mom went to WDW this summer, and I asked her to pick up 4 titles for me in case the service came to an end per the rumors.

There are still some more I want to get. I really don't want to pay online sellers for marked-up ($) items!

I called WDW Merchandise today, and the operator called Main Street/VMK Central: CDs can still be burnt there, but one orders them in person -- not by phone.

I don't think the operator asked the store about future kiosk plans -- perhaps I didn't ask this until she had spoken with VMKC. I plan to call again, and ask that this question be posed to the store.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I went to the VMK Central this past Sunday and you can still burn CDs there (although I was also told that the CD labeling system does not work).

It's really a shame that they hid these things where no one could find them, staffed the locations with CMs that didn't know how to use them, they often broke down, etc. Get 'em while ya can, folks.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Here's proof - Lou at the Kiosk. It's located in the old Main St. Cinema - now VMK Central - to the left of the counter, next to the door into the next shop.

-Pat (Disneydame2004)

Lou, THANKS for checking! As I listened to the 10/1 podcast, somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I wondered if you ventured that way....

Merci beaucoup!

Update: http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ead.php?t=9090

Looks like Lou got one of the last looks at the system
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    yeah...it is sad day for all Disney music freaks (that would be me)
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

What sad news! And my family and I are just days away from a WDW trip! Thanks for keeping me posted, though....

Some titles will probably be available from private sellers' sites and eBay; historically, those have had quite a markup.

Planning to buy two titles, among "Tinpanorama," "Date night at Disneyland," "Summer Magic," or a "Ludwig Von Drake" title, of course this kiosk-extinction news opens up my options for other souvenir purchases.

If the kiosk library becomes available on iTunes, I'll try to buy from there -- it's just there won't be covers and liner notes (unless iTunes upgrades software to offer all of this).

I remember reading, earlier this summer (?), that the kiosks were going away, and that some of the more popular titles would be available on the store shelves.

Perhaps that will indeed be the case. We'll see.

I just got off of the phone with the music marketing department at Disney Studios, Burbank, to air my disappointment regarding the removal of the CD kiosks from the parks -- the final system pulled as I was a week-and-a-half away from visiting WDW!

I remarked that, while I use iTunes, I would miss the inclusion of liner notes accompanying the CD purchase -- unless iTunes got an update that would make such available. And... the Disney staff member said it was believed that iTunes would indeed make the packaging available!! HOORAY!!

I will add, as an aside, that earlier this year, I noticed a lot of the Disney fare onced offered on iTunes (ie - Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Lady and the Tramp, etc.) disappeared from the "Disney" category of the Music Store.

At one point I had searched for Mia's (You've heard this song on Princess Diaries I) "Miracles Happen," and while the search results yielded the title, the attempt to purchase the song gave way to a message like, "This title unavailable from the American store."

Another time, I searched for the "Ukulele Ike Sings Again" album (available at the kiosk, too) and got results, but again, a purchase attempt yielded the "unavailable" message.

All this to say, it would appear that a grand Disney unveiling on iTunes is in the works -- not surprising, what with earlier collaborations and fanfare between Disney and Apple. The vintage recordings previously available at the parks, plus Disney titles once available on iTunes, may all be made available again to the fans!
    Last edited by MousekeTodd; 10-09-2006 at 02:16 PM.

disneyvixen is offline The Harasser of Podcasters!!
    If you don't mind me asking, at this kiosk what kind of tracks are available? Also if anyone can tell me if they are purchasing Disney tracks/songs off itunes what they are searching under? Seems I can't find much with whatever it is I'm entering to look for Thanks guys
    Jackie O.
    Next WDW Trip: Sometime in May, I think my AP is already paid for itself

"Inside every sophisticated grownup adult is a little kid just dying to get out." -Walt Disney

Love Disney news/Trip Reports? Join me at WDW According to Jackie O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast