Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Pirates Refurb - good or bad? in the Vacation Planning forums; I agree on your thoughts on the plot of the original PotC. Though the DL version does do a much better job of telling the story. Story being the sequence ...
    Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I agree on your thoughts on the plot of the original PotC. Though the DL version does do a much better job of telling the story. Story being the sequence of emotions/feelings as opposed to the plot. But that's another issue I guess... Yes, the plot was a bit nebulous, but it didn't really matter because the story came across well.

With the changes, the plot goes from having to do with some mysterious curses to a simple chase. Jack has some treasure, and the other Pirates want it. No more curse, no more mystery. Yeah, we still hear of such mysterious things in the opening scenes, but once we get to the battle scene, it turns into a simple search, and ends with, well, unlike Lou I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

On the "alternate reality" thing, sounds like you get what I'm saying. Indy fits just fine. Even if you don't know for sure where it fits in the timeline, there's nothing that I'm aware of that contradicts the movies.

Pirates is different in that there's no logical place this little treasure chase would fit. Obviously it would be after the mutiny against Jack, but then that would mean the curse was in place, and its a major stretch to see how this could fit in anywhere along that timeline.

Incidentally, this is another issue I have with Stitch's Great Escape. Besides just being a bad attraction, it directly contradicts the movie.

But back to Pirates, all of the above is why I say it feels like they added the characters to capitalize on the synergistic opportunities, as opposed to truly trying to improve the attraction.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Whoa, I feel so..overwhelmed by these huge posts!..Sadly, my next question doesn't fit in with anything said already..I think. Well, I know some of the affects that were added, but did they change the jail scene at all? That is my favorite scene..and i would hate to see that changed.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Quote Originally Posted by disney fanatic View Post
    Whoa, I feel so..overwhelmed by these huge posts!..Sadly, my next question doesn't fit in with anything said already..I think. Well, I know some of the affects that were added, but did they change the jail scene at all? That is my favorite scene..and i would hate to see that changed.
    Not a bit is changed there! The final scene after that one has changed, but the jail scene is a-ok!
    Tina

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Good call, Tina. I was just about to pass along that the jail scene at Disneyland was untouched at least, so chances were good the same is true for the 'World.

Adding to your thoughts on discrepancies between the flicks and the ride, Matt; as far as this pursuit of Captain Jack having to be after the mutiny, let's not forget that the crew of The Black Pearl all believed Sparrow to be dead (which on its own opens up a whole other slew of nitpicks regarding the original movie, but I'm not gonna touch that with a ten-foot cattleprod here. I've already shown how badly I need a life now, I'm afraid).

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    Adding to your thoughts on discrepancies between the flicks and the ride, Matt; as far as this pursuit of Captain Jack having to be after the mutiny, let's not forget that the crew of The Black Pearl all believed Sparrow to be dead...
    Good point, I hadn't even thought of that. Makes even less sense now.

I'm also glad they at least didnt' change the jail scene.

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Granted, in the timeline of the movies, this plot makes little to no sense, but when you get technical, niether do other other classic film based rides Walt himself had put together. I mean, Mr. Toad ends in Hadies for crying out loud!!

BeastlyKingdom? is offline finally in college... hello disney college program
    I havent been on the one at disney World yet. But the one at disneyland unbeleavable jack look realllllllll if i was alone at night on that ride i would be afraid to see it cause it looked soo real but ya the new update i would give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5
    the only 18 year old boy who like disney more than girls......... nvm disney is a close 2nd

I think back on why i am so strange now i know why .... I blame Disney but i still love it

" we have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment."
    - walt disney

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider1227 View Post
    Granted, in the timeline of the movies, this plot makes little to no sense, but when you get technical, niether do other other classic film based rides Walt himself had put together. I mean, Mr. Toad ends in Hadies for crying out loud!!
    I'll grant that. But it is only one scene, and its a scene that could have happened, since we are able to escape Hades in the ride. It doesn't invalidate the entire film.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think there are any contradictions of anywhere near the scale of the PotC contradictions in any of the other older film based attractions.

But I want to be clear, its not the contradiction itself that is so troublesome. Its still an enjoyable, if somewhat more puzzling attraction. I'm just saying that because of such a glaring contradition, and the fact that there was no real effort made to incorporate the new effects/characters into the ride's actual plot/story, it feels like they were added just to capitalize on the movie's popularity, as opposed to really try to improve the attraction.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    POTC was closed this past May when I went. I can't wait to see the revamped ride next May.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidermatt View Post

But I want to be clear, its not the contradiction itself that is so troublesome. Its still an enjoyable, if somewhat more puzzling attraction. I'm just saying that because of such a glaring contradition, and the fact that there was no real effort made to incorporate the new effects/characters into the ride's actual plot/story, it feels like they were added just to capitalize on the movie's popularity, as opposed to really try to improve the attraction.
    Proboly was. Something tells me there could've been, but the head honchos at Disney rushed the Imagineers. Sometimes, I think we're lucky they didn't just re-dress one of the already existing pirates as Jack. THAT wouldn't been horrible.
    I've siad it once, and I'll say it again, it would've been MUCH better if the pirates wern't looking for Jack. Jack should've just happen to be there or secretly following them with Barbosa being none the wiser

PrincessTammi is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I just rode it last week - and here are my thoughts about the HOT Johnny Depp in the ride....its ok. Its not phenominal, its not horrible. Its alright. The changes are few, but quite obvious (as the last scene). The jail scene is the same, the ships firing on each other are the same (tho I think its supposed ot be Barbossa on the boat now), etc. The ride is still a fun ride....BUT all that said - the way they showed Davy Jones in the beginning is awesome....seriously mindboggling. Totally worth the revamp for that alone.
    I DID IT!! I finished the ToT 13K! It was actually harder than I ever imagined to be honest. BUT I just kept moving, just keep moving...(could barely move AFTER the race, lol)

Next trip: ???? I almost always have one on the horizon, but given the economy...who knows when I'll get back after this trip!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12