Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Pirates Refurb - good or bad? in the Vacation Planning forums; I went to MK last month and rode the new and improved (??) Pirates...and I may be walking into the fire here ...but I preferred my Pirates the way they ...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

Pirates Refurb - good or bad?

I went to MK last month and rode the new and improved (??) Pirates...and I may be walking into the fire here ...but I preferred my Pirates the way they use to be - free from Johnny Depp movie tie - ins. I saw the films and enjoyed them but don't think they were worth changing a classic ride for..I was especially disapointed at how different the treasure room (last scene on the ride) was. Any thoughts on this?
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

nicks_ahoy is offline Jungle VIP
    I have no opinion against or for it......yet. But as soon as I get on that ride come December I will probably enjoy it.

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I haven't been since the update. I'm scared i'm not going to like the last scene either. It's kind of weird thinking that he is part of the ride. It is like he is peaking through what used to be Potc...i'm saying all this wihtout riding it yet. I think the waterfall effect should be cool, no?
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    As always, I know I'm probably in the minority, but I also don't care for the changes at all. Granted, I've only seen what they've done to the attraction out Disneyland-way, but dollars to donuts WDW's version has had the same treatment.

I truly wouldn't have minded so much, it's just that they had to take the single most personally meaningful part of any attraction, and make it something completely different.

I'm a big boy, and I'll cope--but I've got a hunch that this next visit (and hopefully future visits) won't have the same meaning to me any longer.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by alalune042 View Post
    I haven't been since the update. I'm scared i'm not going to like the last scene either. It's kind of weird thinking that he is part of the ride. It is like he is peaking through what used to be Potc...i'm saying all this wihtout riding it yet. I think the waterfall effect should be cool, no?
    I have to agree. But i think it is time to just leave pirates alone! Make a new ride with pirates, sure! But please don't touch the old and original rides.

I have personally not seen the new refurb yet, and to tell you the truth, i am afraid to. But i guess if the ride is still the same ride, it'll be fine. Just stop adding pirates everywhere! they are attacking from all sides. They are dominating some rides, but i guess it could be a positive refurb..I HOPE!

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've seen videos and I LOVE IT!! I can't wait to see this for myself at WDW. If you ask me, there's nothing really to be upset about. It's the same ride, it just has some new animatronics. (Oh, and Davy Jones in the water) The only thing I could complain about was the new diolouge. I think the changes would've been better if the Pirates wern't LOOKING for Jack, but rather if Jack was just making cameos. But if that's all I can complain about, then they must've done something right

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    I have been on the ride before the changes and after and seen both the movies and i like the ride with the addition of captain jack sparrow. he is such a great character and worth having in the ride. It doesn't make it all that different so i dont really mind, i would mind however making the whole ride overrun with elizabeth and will. It is fine how it is now without anymore additions.
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    I am so excited to finally ride this post refurb.

Walt was all about changing. Really. So I think that updates are totally a truly Disney thing to do.

After all, the only thing constant is change.

KUNGALOOSH!!!

Change is inevitable (except from a vending machine).

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    Change is inevitable (except from a vending machine).
    Well said.

However, I do like the new additions. I only got to ride POTC once this fall, but I liked what I saw. I also do not have the memory of steel trap that memorizes every nuance of the ride, so I'm not tied to every little detail that was there before.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've been on POTC since the refurb and really like the addition of Capt Jack. I like that there is now a real story from beginning to end that everybody can follow. With the old POTC, there wasn't much flow from one scene to the next and some people, including myself years ago, couldn't tell if there was a story other than Pirates like to burn buildings and sell women. Now with the movie tie in, there is more continuity from beginning to end.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I also do not have the memory of steel trap that memorizes every nuance of the ride, so I'm not tied to every little detail that was there before.
    Well, rumor's going around that nobody's perfect.

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Good thing that's only a rumor because I'm pretty perfect myself!
    Tina

Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Part of the problem with the story is that the MK PotC is an abbreviated version of the DL PotC to begin with.

That aside, taken as whole, the changes aren't an improvement.

Yes, change is inevitable, and yes, Walt was most certainly in favor of change and progress. The fact that changes were made is not the problem.

The good: The Davy Jones mist effect is really neat. The cannon effect is also very cool, though you don't always feel it. The Depp animatronics are very well done. The general sprucing up was long overdue as well. The integration of the movie music with the original music is a plus.

The bad: Yes, the plot is easy to follow now, but it still doesn't make any sense. What treasure has Jack stolen, and why is Barbossa after him? If the treasure is cursed, what's the curse? And if these are supposed to be characters from the movie, when do these events take place in relation to the events in the movies? Doesn't make sense no matter what.

For the most part, it really does feel like they just wanted to add the characters for the sake of adding characters.

That doesn't mean the ride is not enjoyable.

Respectfully counter-pointing a little, but did the original Pirates of The Carribean have much of a plot that needed followed? Gutsy, nameless crew of ne'er-do-wells barrages, sacks, and burns a coastal town on the Spanish Main, and somehow manages to make what should be a pretty brutal scene look like good, clean fun. Just doesn't seem like there's much there that especially needed to "make sense," and if a rider was dedicated enough to seek out a backstory, well--guess a little bit was left up to imagination to fill in (which I always kinda dug myself).

As far as when these events tie-in to the movies, well.........that's a toughie. Maybe we'll just have to call these events an 'alternate reality' (*snicker, chuckle) for the POTC timeline, but I do respect the efforts of anyone who would check up on it. Frankly, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I'm enough of a fanboy to know that the events of The Indiana Jones Adventure attraction at Disneyland is supposed to take place sometime between the events of The Temple of Doom and Raiders of the Lost Ark (TOD technically being a prequel, after all).
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 11-29-2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Just couldn't stand the thought of the term "alternate reality" used for a fictional purpose without some wink-wink/nudge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast