Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Any great hot weather ideas? in the Vacation Planning forums; Does anyone have any unique or new ideas about what to do when it gets really hot? We are going down this summer (June) since we have school age children ...
    TinkTime is offline A-Ticket holder

Any great hot weather ideas?

Does anyone have any unique or new ideas about what to do when it gets really hot?
    We are going down this summer (June) since we have school age children traveling with us this time! Avoiding the warmer months was not an option this time.
    I've read to head back to the pool, but this seems like a waste of time since we are utilizing the Disney busses! I prefer as much park time as possible!!!
    Does anyone have any great ideas!?!?!
    Besides the Dole Whip!!! I can't wait to try one of these highly praised items!!
    THANKS!

Been There, Always Trying To Get Back!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    First off, welcome aboard, TinkTime!

The heat is a factor pretty much any time of year in our favorite place. As always, try to make sure everyone in your group has a good bottle of water handy, and drink up (yo-ho). If you're game, I can vouch for the quality of the "cooling headbands" at www.tuffrhino.com. Those simple little things can go a loooong way towards keeping you cool for hours.

While they may not necessarily be your bag, I've had great success with a wide-brimmed felt hat in the middle of more than one central Florida summer. Aside from the brim keeping the sun out of your eyes, I've yet to meet a castmember minding the store at a refreshment cart who has turned me down when I've politely asked for a small scoop of ice. If the hat fits well, you would be amazed at just how long the cubes will keep under there (how long? Long enough so that other folks in your party will forget, and will give you the chance to slip one down their backs much later, providing you with some in-queue entertainment to kill time). One great option with this tactic is to tie a thin length of old T-shirt; Rambo-style, around your noggin before donning the hat. This will trail any and all moisture to the back of your head, and keep most of it off your body. Your head may not even be sweaty at all, and you'll be quite comfy while everyone else wonders how you do it. As a bonus, the look is positively rougish, in a pirate-y sort of way.

Have fun with the kids, and hey--let's be careful out there.

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Also, you can go to the theme parks, and when you are really getting hot, go on the water rides! I know, it wouldn't be fun to miss a day at the parks to go back to the hotel, so look at the weather report for the time you are staying there! GO to the water parks on the hottest days! A lot of the parks have cool down stations to, like EPCOT near Test Track. Now remember, it is also humid in June. So expect lots of rain. But most of all, enjoy your time there! Happy thanksgiving~

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

kngdmhrts3 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    i usually plan the outdoor stuff and more exterior attractions for the morning and afternoon, during the day, shop or plan your day to hit the shows. also remember these cool key places for each park. MK country bears, EP innoventions, MGM, Backlot tour/ Star Tours, AK FOTLK/ittbab
    Hakuna Matata

"They say Walt Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth, but they have never been in your arms"

Raidermatt is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We typically visit in the hot months as well, and we have 2 children.

What we do:

Eat lunch indoors slightly before Noon. You beat the worst of the lunch crowds and spend some nice time in the air conditioning.

Eat dinner early, around 5pm. Its still hot at this time, so again you get into some air conditioning. By the time you get out, its started to cool off.

Drink water.

Don't be afraid to cut through shops and stores as you walk around the parks, even if you don't stop. Doesn't hurt to linger a bit and enjoy the cool air. The kids will appreicate it.

Spray bottles, with or without the fan can be very nice.

Try to hit the attractions with large indoor queues while its hot, if possible.

SUNSCREEN. If its Summer, you'll likely encounter both rain and sun, so be prepared with your poncho and your sunscreen. Reapply the sunscreen if you get wet or after washing up. Espeically for the very young ones. Areas often missed are the face, neck, ears, tops of feet, and exposed areas of the scalp (either a part or the whole head if you have short or no hair).

I recommend sandals or flip/flops, if possible, provided you can find some comfortable enough for you. With all the water rides and potential rain showers, its great to not have to worry about getting your socks and shoes soaked. We got caught in a real bad shower at the MK on our last trip, and I was able to put the poncho on and go make a FP run while most people were ducking for cover. When the rain stopped, I was dry and my sandals dried quickly, and we had our FP's.

Along those lines, if you have a member of your party that doesn't mind the heat as much (that's me in our party), they can make FP runs while you are at lunch and/or dinner, or while doing rider swaps, etc.

Thank you! These are all great ideas!

JMSuperHeroTeam is offline Maura Colleen the Makeup Queen
    DisneyQuest, while it's still open, is a wonderful way to beat the FL heat. There are plenty of video games, old-school and futuristic. My husband loved it, and I had fun too. We loved their virtual Pirates of the Caribbean!!! It would be a very fun place for school age children.

We also had an absolute blast at Typhoon Lagoon!! SOO fun! The water kept us cool and we also had time to relax in the sun. We are so excited to go to Blizzard Beach!

As other posters have said, make sure to stay HYDRATED. That's key. A good way is to stop at Publix if you're renting a car and get a huge ginormous thing of water bottles. OR do as we do and bring a brita pitcher with you. you can then use the tap water in your hotel and refill individual water bottles each day.

Have a BLAST!

KUNGALOOSH!!!

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    GO NAKED! XD Hey, you wanted ideas. You didn't want ideas that would work XD
    Seriously, my best ideas would be either being sure you have lots of water, or wearing absolutly NO BLACK! Black absorbs heat afterall

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    My family went in June when we used to go on Family vacations. If your lucky it won't be that hot. The REALLY hot months in FL are July and August normally, so you picked the best out of the hotter months.

We ALWAYS used the buses, and my family always went back in the afternoon to go to the pool. We would always get up, head into a park at opening, go back to the pool from about 2-4ish and then go in for dinner somewhere, and then spend the rest of the night in the park. It was a nice 'relaxation' in the middle of the day and really kept us going all day long.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Thanks, Jeanne!
    I am beginning to think that with the younger kids, this might be a real good idea for the hotter days!
    Thanks again!
    ~Robin

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Well, as you have been told, drink LOTS of water! No Cokes or other sodas. They can make dehydration happen faster. Eat a good meal before you start for the parks and try to wear light colors or just plain ol white. Last time I was at WDW, I had to treat several different people with heat exhaustion and cramps. Imagine having to work while on vacation!

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

GoofysMommy is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I live here in Orlando and I go to the parks in all kinds of weather. (Thanks to my handy dandy annual pass!) Don't wear dark colors! Don't be scared to bring one of those bags that are like backpacks but thin and has straps you pull to close the bag. They are small enough to be comfortable and easy to bring on rides and not heavy therefore you don't get tired in the heat. Don't bring things you really don't need. Bring a bottle of water and even when empty keep it to reuse. Fill it up at the inside restaurants with taps for water at the condement bars. Cold and clean water. Eat fruits instead of candy and stuff as snacks. Fruits just give off a refreshing taste in your mouth no matter how hot it is. I only sort of agree with the sandal thing since flip flops and the such are no bueno to walk in all day long. So unless you find uber comfy ones or get Crocs (I'm getting ballet style ones since they are way cute), wear sneakers. Inside rides are good to do during high heat times. Gadgets and gizmos are cool to bring but when not in use are bad to carry around in my opinion. Sit in the shade when possible or stand in it when you stop to look at a map or look in a bag. Rides like CoP or the Walt Disney exhibit in MGM One Mans Dream are awesome, usually have no waits or lines and are nice ways to spend some time inside away from heat. Buermuda shorts are A) comfortable B) Longer than short shorts so are acceptable in family environments (if I had a dollar for every woman I've seen wear unappropriate things to Disney...) C) Cool and can be nice when cold too because I know my legs get cold fast and having longer shorts is good. Bring a longsleeve shirt, not a sweater or jacket, incase the night air cools up a bit. Also, don't let your daughter (or yourself) walk around in a swim suit. Seems like a good idea but it can get uncomfortable, cold, and there's just no need. Boys wearing swim trucks or boardshorts are actually okay. Girls too will like to wear those. If you want to wear a swim top it'd be good for the heat plus dries faster than OTHER undergarment type things... (LOL) but wear a tank top on top or T-Shirt. The water parks and DisneyQuest are good alternatives for familys who just don't want to deal with park heat period. I think that is it... Hope all the tips help...
    Chellie the Pirate Princess

Goofy Paul Anka Lunt

My Billy loves to eat !

http://www.myspace.com/goofysmommy