Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Trivia and Games Discuss How to survive______at Disney in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; By popular demand.......Introducing the "How to Survive__________at Disney". \ We've pretty well covered a zombie attack in the Ongoing E.O...in fact the walking dead nearly took over the entire post ...
    disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe

How to survive______at Disney

By popular demand.......Introducing the "How to Survive__________at Disney". \

We've pretty well covered a zombie attack in the Ongoing E.O...in fact the walking dead nearly took over the entire post (apparently a forum is not the best place to barracade yourself if the undead were to attack)

Sooo
    In this thread someone will post a hypothetical situation and you will describe how you would survive it.....the original poster will pick the best survival stratedgy and that person will come up with a new sticky situation
    Last edited by disneydarling; 06-22-2007 at 04:07 PM.
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

A storm of Biblical proportions has unleashed its fury on the World. You must first survive the initial twisters, hurricanes, 100mph winds etc....and then find a way to survive a month of flooding (20+ft water). You have assumed the position of leader and must find a way to sustain and provide for the surviving guest. You can use any or all parks and any or all rides/attractions, there is no power, and no hope of rescue...to complicate matters a wee bit....all the sharks from the Living Seas have escaped....and they are hungry

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    This is great meg, i will work on my survival plan and get back to you!!
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

fortuosity is offline NOW APPROACHING...
    Trapped in the Earful Tower with the Animaniacs
    First, to deal with the hurricanes and twisters, I'd barracade myself under the socerer's hat at MGM, making a "Swiss Family Tophat" using spare parts from the Swiss Family Treehouse that got picked up by the winds and thrown to MGM. Once the winds stop and the rain starts, I run over to the Indiana Jones Stunt Show to get some explosives and Jones' whip. Then the survivors run to MK to get all the guns from the Fronierland Shootin' Gallery and then run to the Jungle Cruise. We shoot all of the animals we see for food on the way to the Temple. I take out the snakes with the whip. Any sharks we see, we throw explosives at.
    More Beer? What For Nothing Helps... Get Me Five Dozen Eggs Instead
    Imagination! Imagination! A Dream Can Be A Dream Come True With Just A Spark In Me And You

America, Keep On Flying Now. Keep Your Spirit Free, Facing New Frontiers

Cinderella CastleSpaceship EarthTree Of LifeEarful Tower

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    The best way to survive all those initial problems of twisters hurricanes and such, would be to get underground. The utilidors would probably be the best best and i would think MKs would have the most to them. Once that all was done(hopefully it wouldnt take too long, but if it did, everybody could always climb out and find shelter in space mountain. I chose that because architecturally it seems to be one of the best to hold up to all the winds. Pyramids have the best hold against it all and spac mtn is similar to that. I would say the Mexican pavillion, but to make the trek over there in the major storm would most likely cost numerous lives of whoever is going there. We would also have to make our way from the utilidors to Space Mountain if the flooding started to happen while the storming was still going on. We wouldnt have too many supplies in Space Mountain(cuz really there isnt anything there) so we would have to bring everything up with us. ONce the storms died down to a point where we could make our way outside for a little while, we would run over to the contemporary. There we would have everything we would need to outlast the storms, that is if the building itself survived all the major inisial storming. Otherwise we would have to stay in space mountain. Most of this plan is assuming that the froce of the storms would knock over a lot of the structures. MK is also built up from the rest of the land in the area, so a 20ft flood would only get maybe 10ft. People would probably end up trying to make higher platforms if it did flood inside the mountain
    Last edited by lovedisprinces; 06-22-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    I'd ride the storm out in the contemporary, looks built to last! Half the storm survivors raid the parks for rum (ok, and water) , turkey legs & popcorn, the rest collect all the fishing boats and equipment as the flood waters rise, we all meet back up at the Comtemporary, this time docking the boats on the outside of the tower as the water rises. For the next month we pass the time fishing, boating around SSE & Cinderella's castle, having races along the monorail tracks, sleeping in the luxury of the rooms (all amazingly untouched by the storm) and launching fireworks off the tower roof (or at sharks). And a wonderful time is had by everyone LOL
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I have nothing to contribute right this minute but I just had to comment that this is awesome so far!

Alright, so I am not sure how many people I would be leading in this scenario but here it goes.

First the hurricane and twisters, I'd pick a place with no windows where we could sit it out, the Mexican pavillion would be a great place to hang out and there would be plenty of food and drink to keep us going for a little while, the Mariachis could entertain everyone to keep people from panicking (just like they did on the Titanic) haha. When the water rising would become an issue we could grab some boats from the Grand Fiesta tour and evacuate out the front doors before the water got too high. We could use the table and chairs to make paddles so that we can actually get somewhere.

20 feet of water would probably mean that most of the Epcot buildings with food and supplies would be underwater so we'd pack as much stuff as we could in all the boats including serapes and hats (wouldn't that be a pretty picture?) since the sun would probably come out at some point. I'm not too worried about the sharks, they are small and there aren't that many plus if everyone stays in the boats we should be fine. To get out of the water we could paddle over to the Dolphin or the Swan and maybe break some windows and actually find some dry floors above the water level, we could probably survive there for a while if we packed enough food and whoever starts acting crazy or eats more than they should gets thrown into the water, haha!

SuperStarKerri is offline It's all good.
    Well. Where to start...

The twisters and hurricanes wouldn't be hard to handle. I would lead all the guests straight to the EPCOT ball. I don't know how many of us there will be, but if for some reason there were no more room, the remaining people would have to tough it out and stay under the ball and hang on for dear life to the railings. Everyone inside could have a seat on the tracks or next to the animatronics. Once all the wind died down, I would quickly rush myself and a few select others to the Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom. (Everyone who was under the ball could take my place and the others I took with me so they wouldn't drown when the floods start.) The rains would start and each person would take control of their own boat from the Kali River Rapids. (It seats a good amount of people.) We'd quickly paddle our way back to the EPCOT ball and get everyone piled onto the boats. To avoid the sharks that escaped and satisfy our needs for food at the same time, we would paddle to Cinderella Castle. Once we got there we would (unfortunetly) have to break through a window and go inside to the Restaurant Cinderella's Royal Table. SAFE!
    Love, Kerri

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    Storms and winds, with rsisng water. Magic Kingdom is your best bet. The main Street level is actually the second story as the unitilors are actuallt ground level (they built the park UP to hide the utilidors. I'd hunker down at the wilderness lodge(it seems pretty solid to me) from there afetr the winds subside I'd colelct up the boats int he MK area (to include the big steamer that goes back and forth from the parking area and start making salvage runs to the other parks and resorts. For fresh water we'd have to set up rain colelctors I assuem the water will unsafe tro drink for quite a while. Fishing is the way to survive, using the salvaged and stored food only to balance nutrition and even out the calorie count. As fuel runs short for the boats salvage scouting will be done by paddle boats and walking hte mmorail tracks. There are a variey of canoes and row boats for short trips. As for the sharks, well I no swimming, so long as they don't get amphibious we should be OK.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Lil Magic's Mom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well, as for me, I figure with 20ft water the MK is our best bet. As Veritas mentioned, main street is actuallt the 2nd floor, so that takes care of 12ft of water and leaves me with 8, so off we go (remember i'm the leader come on) to TTA to help stay above the water as well as travel from bldg to bldg such as SP for the high winds. We would gather food from Tomorrowland and use Space Orbitor or SM as a lookout point. As for the sharks, not to worry there, It's fresh water which also means food.
    Only 15 minutes from the back gate of the most wonderful place on Earth!!!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    (I've decided to play it "fair"--that is, I'd have no idea what would be coming next, and I'd try my best to deal with the situation as it developed.)

Good call on getting yourselves underground to all who have mentioned it so far. High winds wouldn't concern me too terribly, though. Most of the structures on the Disney acres were designed with punishment from the elements in mind. They did opt to break ground in central Florida for this place, after all, and they've handled 'cane after 'cane. Think back to 2004, when the state seemed to be nailed with those storms every other week for the longest time (and not once did I see some disgruntled homesteader telling the newscameras that "this has been the seventh time this year I've had to have that [unwrite] Epcot ball towed outta my pool!"). WDW is a resilient place.

The Utiladors seems like a sound bet, although admittedly, not sure if I'd be able to gain access without some outside assistance. I'm fairly certain I know of one entrance; in the firehall on Main Street, but failing that, the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction shouldn't be too much of a chore to get in, and get below the surface in. There are a couple ways in and out other than just the front door, and I could periodically check out what's happening outside with just a peek or a listen at one of the emergency exits.

Once the winds died down enough for me to consider venturing outside to size up the world, or the water level was gettin' suspiciously high in the attraction, I'd do what I could to get the survivors rallied and up to some higher ground. If the waters were rising fast enough; say, higher than my knee level and with no signs of slowing down, I'd gather a couple boys with strong backs to help me lift and hoist a vessel or two from the ride, assuming they were proving to be as seaworthy as they looked, get them up the exit ramp, Tetris-style (tm), and start loading up the boats with all those who are still looking towards me for their ongoing good health (if I had time, and had the park more or less to myself with no other scavengers to worry about, I'd make my way out the service canal joining the Rivers of America and the Seven Seas Lagoon, to see if there were still any serviceable maintenance boats I could commandeer). Between myself and a couple other folks I felt I could trust to handle themselves in open water, we'd guide the crafts out towards higher ground. I'm thinking the Contemporary again--what can I say? The place seems to me to be our best bet in more than one situation.

Whether we could make the Contemporary or not, the Pirates boats are hopefully not going to be our homes for the duration of this. If the Admiral Joe Fowler were still within reach, we'd definitely climb aboard, and secure the smaller boats for emergency rafts. We certainly wouldn't want to be out in open water with that sun beating down on us more than a day or two (Caroline, GREAT call with the sombreros and serapes). Within a few moments of study and trial and error, I'm fairly certain I'd have the hang of the controls.

First port of call would be someplace that once had a kitchen. I'm thinking Chef Mickey's, conveniently above that 20' water mark. Myself and maybe a few volunteers (NO ONE goes ANYWHERE alone as long as I'm in charge. If need be, these folks would be repeating "two is one, one is none" like a mantra) would check out the place, and score us all the metal pots and plastic containers we could find--since we're high and dry, potable water is the next priority.

Little bit of a rant here, but it was driving me up the wall to hear just how many people died needlessly of thirst during Hurricane Katrina--people trapped on rooftops with floodwaters all around them. I feel for them, but by the same token, I have little sympathy for them. During this sort of event, there's no excuse for getting your ticket punched like that.

Just take a scoop of water in a good work shirt (part of the reason I'm so fond of them, and like wearing them so much), and let it filter into a pot. Boil it for a good half hour, and bottle it (and yes, I can set up controlled fires and keep them fueled without sinking our boat, and I'd make sure everyone else could, too).

As for the sharks, they'd be the least of my worries. First off, most varieties of them don't particularly care for human flesh--they generally take a taste, realize what they've gotten into, then move along to find something better (only problem is, being "tasted" is nowhere near as gentle as it sounds, so my shipmates will be sure to keep their ruddy hands inboard). Even if the ones from what used to be The Living Seas didn't get the memo that manmeat isn't so great, I doubt they'd stick around. The animal kingdom is much brighter than we give them credit for--they tend to be much more in-tune with things on an intuitive level, and would likely head for the open ocean or the Gulf. Call it the "gift" or a "shining," but I'll just leave it at that before you think I'm about to get way too deep, and start seriously discussing fairies and unicorns next. Case in point, just before that tsunami kicked the pooh out of southeast Asia two years back now, there were reports of all manner of creatures heading inland and for the high ground. Maybe we should've taken their cue......(Human beings once had these internal senses. If we didn't, we wouldn't be the top of the food chain. To a degree, some of those survival instincts are still there, they're just dulled by soft modern living.)

Higher ground and food would be next on the agenda, but I'm thinking we'd do okay--as a guideline, just remember the rules of 3's: three minutes without air, three days without water, and three weeks without food. I'd think of something, and make sure we sailed in the right direction, if the Contemporary were out of the question for whatever reason.

(Wish I could be less vague for you, but asking for a definite plan of attack on this one is akin to asking Michael Jordan how he's going to make his next basket. He won't know yet--he just has to wait and see how things develop.)

Little afterthought--I'd do what I could to make sure that everyone onboard with me knew and understood that when the inevitable media circus swarms us after the ordeal, it's totally alright to tell them to drop dead.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 06-23-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Afterthought.

That was fantastic, it's no wonder that I feel as safe as I do when you're around.

I had the same thought about the sharks, that they'd head towards the open ocean.

You must have been a boyscout Jake!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Ugh--I don't wanna get into that one. The Scouts and I sort of went our separate ways after a major misunderstanding over an eventful day in Utah. You try to foil some scumbag grave robbers, and this is the thanks a kid gets?

I'll just say that after that little incident, I wasn't a great supporter of my local sheriff any longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast