Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Trivia and Games Discuss Center of WDW in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; I have heard that the center of the WDW resort is located in Epcot somewhere near Spacechip Earth. I'm sure that this has been addressed in another forum but I ...
    OnlyImagination is offline A-Ticket holder

Center of WDW

I have heard that the center of the WDW resort is located in Epcot somewhere near Spacechip Earth. I'm sure that this has been addressed in another forum but I can't find it and it's driving me crazy !!! Thanks! By the way if you guys haven't read the Walt Disney biography by Bob Thomas, I HIGHLY recommend it! AWESOME book!!!
    -Jonathan
    "Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney's dream come true." Roy O. Disney

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    It's a very popular myth. It is *possible*, that one day when the land was first purchased, that the little marker on the ground did in fact mark the center of the property, but not likely. And it certainly doesn't today, as land has been almost continuously bought and sold since WDW opened in 1971. This marker is between the fountain and World Showcase lagoon. (Not to be confused with the Inventor's Circle, located between Innoventions West and The Land)

If you take a look at a map of Walt Disney World (google maps will do), Epcot is near the SouthEast corner of the property. No where near the "center".

biblioadonis is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I agree with MrItty...no one really knows for sure. Most of the speculation is that the large Epcot logo in btween Spaceship Earth and the Fountain of Nations is where the center was when Epcot was built and designed. There is a discussion that the actual center couldn't be used because of an endangered bird that lived there, so they moved Epcot over a bit.My brother and I talked a little bit about the Center of WDW on our blog (we did include two aerial shots):Imaginerding: We're Bringin' Nerdy Back!: Daily figment 139: The Center of Walt Disney World
    George
    http://www.imaginerding.com

Jeff did our logo...do you like it?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyImagination View Post
    I have heard that the center of the WDW resort is located in Epcot somewhere near Spacechip Earth. I'm sure that this has been addressed in another forum but I can't find it and it's driving me crazy !!! Thanks! By the way if you guys haven't read the Walt Disney biography by Bob Thomas, I HIGHLY recommend it! AWESOME book!!!
    I can remember seeing it on a thread here too before our November trip. We went to look at that circle going to the Land just because of what we read on the thread and the picture that was posted. Now I've searched for it and poof it is gone. You can find the surrounding comments but not the post or a few days later the post of the picture. This came up very recently on Mouse Planet "Ask Anita". I feel your frustration. You know you read it at a credible source and yet it is gone. Good luck. If you find it, please post it, I'm sure we weren't the only ones searching the threads.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't read MousePlanet, but I assume that when you say "Ask Anita", you're actually talking about "Anita Answer" from AllEars. Yes, she did indeed talk about it in a recent column, right here: Anita Answer! As you'll read, she too agrees that the little plaque on the Epcot pavement is nothing more than a ceremonial thing, and has no baring on the geography of Walt Disney World.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Maybe it's the center of Epcot? LOL!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    I don't read MousePlanet, but I assume that when you say "Ask Anita", you're actually talking about "Anita Answer" from AllEars. Yes, she did indeed talk about it in a recent column, right here: Anita Answer! As you'll read, she too agrees that the little plaque on the Epcot pavement is nothing more than a ceremonial thing, and has no baring on the geography of Walt Disney World.
    Yep, got me. But that wasn't what I was looking for. It was on this site, in a thread, pictures and the story of the center moving over toward the Land due to conservation of some bird, etc. etc......Anita told the other story recently. By the way, very good! There is no way I could recite exact column names on web sites I don't visit. Clairvoyant!
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 02-04-2008 at 10:31 PM.

OnlyImagination is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I was hoping it would be just because that would be a really neat fact. Oh Well!!!!! Thanks again!
    -Jonathan
    "Walt Disney World is a tribute to the philosophy and life of Walter Elias Disney and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney's dream come true." Roy O. Disney