My favorite trade paperback comic book growing up was “Bring on the Bad Guys – Origins of Marvel Comics Villains”
(yes, these ARE scans of my original 1976 copy, which I still have on my bookshelf!)
I LOVE origin stories, and this book has SEVEN of them!
There are three stories about Loki’s childhood, and a longer fourth story about his inevitable battle with his half-brother Thor. One of my favorite parts of the book, though, is the four-page introduction written by Stan Lee about how and why Loki came to be in Marvel Comics.
I read this book cover to cover more times than I can count (or remember), but gently cared for it like I did all my books and toys… which is why I am SO excited to have the opportunity to screen the first few episodes of LOKI on Disney+ tonight.
As much as I LOVED WandaVision (for ohhhhhh, so many reasons), THIS is the one I have been looking forward to most… due in part to the life, humor, and nuance that Tom Hiddleston brought to the god of mischief.
How excited are YOU for LOKI on Disney+ (premiering June 9)? Where does the character rank for you among Marvel villains?
P.S. Yes… that IS Mephisto on the cover!!!! FINALLY!!!
P.P.S. You can still sometimes find this book at comic conventions and on Amazon.com in varying degrees of quality, but it’s a GREAT read… especially since I (definitely) think we will see ALL of the characters on the cover in the MCU… soon.
P.P.P.S. Well… maybe not Abomination LOL
P.P.P.P.S. Yes… I think we might see Dormammu again. (Stan’s story in the book about how the character came to be and the problems he faced are great!!! “I knew I was in big trouble” – Stan Lee)
Come discuss LOKI (and other Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney movies, shows, and stories) in our Spoiler Support Group on Facebook!
P.S. etc. In case you’re interested, this 1st printing collects the following comic book issues:
- Fantastic Four (1961-1996 1st Series) #5
- Fantastic Four Annual #2 (1st story) (Dr. Doom)
- Tales to Astonish (1959-1968 1st Series) #90-91
- Strange Tales (1951-1976 1st Series) #126-127 (Dormammu)
- Journey Into Mystery #112-113 (Tales of Asgard) (Loki)
- Journey Into Mystery #115 (Absorbing Man – with Loki)
- Tales of Suspense (1959*1968) #66-68 (Red Skull)
- Amazing Spider-Man (1963-1998 1st Series) #39-40 (Green Goblin)
- Thor (1962-1996 1st Series Journey Into Mystery) #112-115
- Tales to Astonish #90-91 (Abomination)
- Silver Surfer (1968-1970 1st Series) #3 (Mephisto)