fbpx
Skip to content

Disney Pinterest Crafts – Success or Failure?

One of my favorite ways to spend some time is searching through Pinterest. It can very quickly turn into a rabbit hole. You start searching for one thing, and five hours later, you’re still on Pinterest searching for something completely different. Who here can relate?

Besides recipes (what are cookbooks anyway?), my favorite things to search for are Disney crafts. Especially over this past year when time inside was never-ending, searching for Disney crafts gave me that little bit of Disney Magic whenever I needed a pick-me-up.

I like to set personal challenges for myself where I see something on Pinterest and instead of buying whatever I see, I set out to make it. I have a pretty good record. I’d say about 75% of what I decide to make comes out well. The other 25% not so much.

Tie dye classes are offered at many Disney resorts. Check one out the next time you stay on site!

Photo courtesy of Walt Disney Resort.

So, that got me thinking. I’m sure there are many crafters in this group and I thought we could start a series call “Pinterest Success or Failure”. Each month, we’ll choose a different Disney Pinterest craft to make and then we can try it and post photos of the outcome… good or bad. This is a no-judgment zone.

I’ll start. This one was a FAIL.

For my husband, summer always brings back fond memories of his time as a camp counselor and one of the activities he loved the most was tie-dye. Now, to be fair, neither one of us had done tie-dye since we were kids over 35 years ago, but we thought, “how hard could it be?”

So, we went to Pinterest, and found t-shirts with a tie-dye Mickey head in the center and a rainbow of color throughout the shirt. We sorted through a few to find a good tutorial and decided to make it. Well, not only was it extremely messy, but it looked NOTHING like the picture. I’m not sure what we did wrong. 

Well, I take that back. I think I do…

For starters, we didn’t follow the directions on the back of the dye bottle and we didn’t have squeeze bottles to put the dye in. Instead, we used plastic straws, put the straw in the dye bottle, put our finger over the top of the straw to create a suction, and then we poured the dye on the shirt. I don’t recommend that.

The dye on my shirt didn’t even make it to the back! But, not all is lost. I now have the perfect house-cleaning, lawn-work, painting shirt.

Have you ever made a Mickey Mouse tie-dye shirt before? Are you willing to try? Post your photos and show us how you did. Remember, if yours doesn’t come out quite right, you can always try again and get pointers from those who did do it well!



Hi all, I’m Felicia. Like many of you, my love for Disney began at a very young age, though, my first time going to WDW was when I was 28! Since then, I’ve been making up for lost time and my husband and I try to go at least once a year. We got engaged there, honeymooned there and WDW has become such an integral part of our lives and important in so many chapters in our story. I love trying new experiences when we go and sharing them other Disney couples. I also love bringing Disney magic into our home by creating Disney crafts and projects whenever I can. 

Comments