Let’s take a look and see how you did on this week’s Walt Disney World POP! Quiz about the Tree of Life! Are you a master Disney’s Animal Kingdom Dendrologist (tree scientist)? Take a look at the answer key below to find out.
1. How many animals are sculpted into the Tree of Life?
- 325 – One animal in particular was directly inspired by renowned anthropologist Jane Goodall who visited the Animal Kingdom during construction and noticed that there was no Chimpanzee carved into the Tree of Life. In honor of Dame Goodall, one of her most famous subjects, David Graybeard, was carved into the roots.
2. What type of tree did the Imagineers base the final look of the Tree of Life on?
- Bonsai – While visiting the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, designers for Animal Kingdom noticed an intriguing bonsai tree on exhibit. This bonsai tree inspired the final look of the Tree of Life.
3. The Tree of Life can with stand hurricane winds of up to _____ miles per hour?
4. How long did it take Imagineers and construction workers to create the Tree of Life?
- 24 months
- 36 months
- 18 months – Formed from a 145 foot tall oil rig, the Tree of Life took 18 months to complete.
5. How many people worked on the animal sculptures carved into the tree’s trunk, roots and branches?
- 13 – A total of 3 Imagineers and 10 artists worked full time on the design. They had to work quickly on their sculptures as the plaster only took 6 to 10 hours to harden. Interestingly, each artists was able to carve an area of 6 to 8 square feet per day.
6. At what point did the Imagineers decide to place a theater inside the Tree of Life?
- From the beginning
- Half way through construction – Before becoming the 4D theater, this space was going to be used for a sit down restaurant called “Roots”
7. Originally, the Tree of Life’s canopy was going to be in the shape of a _________?
- No canopy
- Geodesic dome – At the time, Imagineers believed the geodesic dome would have fully supported the weight of the leaves.
8. How many leaves are found on the Tree of Life?
- 2 million
- 102,000 – Around 102,000 leaves were hand placed on over 8,000 handmade branches. Each leaf measures about a foot long and utilizes a color palette of 5 shades of green. Amazingly, these life like leaves blow in the wind.
How did you do on wdwradio.com’s first POP! quiz? Do you have any interesting trivia tidbits about the Tree of Life you would like to share? Make sure to post your trivia in the comments section below.
Erin Stough has always loved Disney, but the magic of the parks truly captured her imagination during a mother-daughter trip in 2001. The fire was ignited and Erin hasn’t looked back! When she isn’t devouring Disney related books, Erin spends time with her wonderful (and patient) husband and super pup Milo.